eleven

WREN THOMAS

It was a rainy day in Miami, even if the air was hot, the grey clouds still rolled over the hills and casted a deep shadow onto the city.

By the time lunch had come around, it looked like nighttime.

"Do you think it'll storm tonight?" Lacey asked from beside me, picking at her salad.

I shrugged, shoving a French fry into my face, "Probably, why?" I ask, glancing at her, "There's a party tonight, that's all." She said.

"Do you know who's?" 

Lacey shook her head, "No. Everyone's going though." 

I laughed, "How can you be going if you don't even know who's party it is?" 

"He's in my biology class." She waved me off, "So, do you want me to drive you? Is that what you're insisting?" 

She shook her head, "No, I'm getting a ride from Taylor. I figured you'd still be in trouble from when you were grounded."

I frowned, "Oh, yeah. I forgot about that."

I sighed, leaning my chin on the palm of my hand.

I pushed my fries away, suddenly feeling full as an unsettling feeling parked in my stomach. It felt like someone was watching me.

I turned my head, scanning the cafeteria until my eyes landed on a pair of icy blue ones. 

Glaring blue ones, to be exact. I stared at Sebastian long enough until he looked away and I blinked once. Why was he staring at me? Did I do something that I don't know about?

"When do you get your car back from the dealers?" Lacey asked me, "After school actually. I'm walking there, do you wanna come?" I ask, hopeful.

Lacey looks at me wide eyed, "Are you kidding? It took me an hour to straighten my hair this morning. If I go outside, it'll get wet and frizzy and then I'll have to straighten it again for the party." She argued, rolling her eyes.

I laughed, emptying my food into the bin, "Fair enough, sorry I asked."

After the whole hair fiasco at lunch, I ended up walking along the road to dealers by myself.

It had begun to rain harder and I was annoyed at myself for not bringing a warmer jacket.

I tugged the sleeves of my black cardigan down my arms more and crossed them over my chest, seeing the dealership in my line of vision.

My converse were squeaking against the freshly paved concrete as the smell of rain filled my senses. It was calming, almost. Hearing the whoosh of cars, the smell of rain and the faint pitter patter of raindrops falling.

Just as I crossed the street, a familiar car swerved onto the side of the road and completely drenched me in muddy water as I stood there, gasping.

I heard cackling laughter as three boys stuck their heads out the window, one of them being Sebastian.

I growled, taking off my cardigan and trying to wring it out before I walked into the dealers.

"Hi, I'm here to pick up my car." I frowned, slapping a now wet piece of paper onto the front desk. 

+ + +

As I got home, I saw Michael sitting on the island stool with Jack, they were reading.

"Hey I'm home." I call, placing my bag on the counter and walking to the fridge, "Hey how was school?" Michael asked me, looking up from Jacks' work book.

I shrugged, "The same. How was work?"

"The same." Michael winked.

I peered over Jacks' shoulder, smiling as I saw his messy handwriting. He was learning how to spell. 

I let them be and gracefully ran up the stairs, taking two at a time.

And after a couple hours of being alone, studying and talking to Lacey, there was a faint knock at my door.

"Come in." I called, putting my pencil down.

"Hey kiddo." My Dad smiled, "Hey Dad, how was work?" 

"Work was good. I injected needles into people." He said, "Cool."

I looked back down at my workbook, "Do you have plans tonight?"

I looked up at him, suspiciously, "No, why?" I peered, "No I'm just wondering. Lacey posted a photo on Facebook of her at a party, I'm wondering why you're not there." He questioned.

I shrugged, "I figured I was still in trouble from being grounded, I didn't want to push my luck." 

Dad rolled his eyes, "You can go to that party if you want. I wasn't really mad at you, for what happened two weeks ago, I just had to act mad in front of you principal so he didn't rule me out for being a bad father." 

I chuckled, closing the textbook, "Fair enough." 

He left my room and I immediately got up, texting Lacey the good news.

Incoming FaceTime call from, Lacey...

"SHOW ME WHAT YOU'RE WEARING, RIGHT NOW." 

I held up a few different outfits and she screamed NO at all of them.

I pointed to a dress I had hidden in the back of my closet and Lacey hesitated before nodding her head yes. I placed her on my bed as I changed into my outfit.

It was a silvery-mint green silk dress with spaghetti straps and a small tie on the side. 

I smiled at myself, feeling confident as I paired it with a couple gold necklaces a pair of gold hoops.

I hung up on Lacey when I told her I was on my way. It was nearly 8pm now, the party started at 7. 

I said goodbye to Dad and Michael and kissed Jack on the forehead as he said goodnight.

Unlocking my car and climbing inside, I turned on the heating, quickly fixing my hair before I apply a thick layer of lipgloss to match my pale pink eyeshadow.

Quickly revving the engine and taking off down the road, nerves bubbled in my stomach.

+ + +

before do u think is going to happen?