Chapter Nineteen - Cake is Non-Negotiable.

Start from the beginning

“She had a crush on you” I laughed as I sat up. “Actually I’m beginning to wonder if there is anyone who doesn’t have a crush on you.

“I’m so sorry.” He mumbled his voice low. He hadn’t laughed at my joke at all.

“Huh?”

“The day before you left for the promo tour… I forgot to use a condom. I was too caught up in the moment and I guess that’s when it happened.” I could see the guilt etched in his face, he held the picture but refused to look at it. “I remember that night so vividly I can’t believe I didn’t realize. I know you didn’t want to have kids yet. I’ve fucked up again.”

My heart hurt as I watched him bathe in guilt. I hated how he would take misdirected blame upon himself and let it consume him, I hated how hard it was to break through that shell. Not this time, not over something so perfectly amazing.

“Xavier.” I murmured as I took the picture from his hands and ran my fingers over the babies face. “Look at what we’ve created together.”

“Still, I mean what if you still weren’t really ready… What if you’d had another miscarriage, what if –” He tried to fret, but I wasn’t going to let him, not this time, not about this.

I kissed him, hard on the lips. Breaking his train of thought. He relaxed into the kiss and let his arms fold around me. I pulled back a moment later, lifting my lips to his forehead.

“Forgetting the condom was a mistake.” I agreed. “But this baby wasn’t.”

I felt his body relax, his breathing followed and he lifted his lips to mine and kissed me one last time.

“We’re going to have baby.” He croaked. A crooked smile crossed his face. “For real, no jokes.”

“For real.” I replied I nodded.

“He’s okay…” He sighed, like he could hardly believe it.

“He?”

“It’s a boy.” Xavier proclaimed adamantly.

“Okay.” I grinned, happy to appease him if it meant the guilt had washed away.

I slid off the bed and pulled my pants back up. “Wait till my parents find out.”

“Oh shit, they’re going to kill me.” Xavier said, genuine nerves were suddenly present in his voice again.

“Relax. I think they know we have sex.” I replied. “Sometimes sex equals babies.”

“So you keep saying, but getting you pregnant again is a whole separate thing.”

I turned and wrapped my arms around Xavier’s neck. “They’ll be happy. Dad will make an excellent grandfather, and who knows… maybe with grandchildren to watch he’ll ease up on me a little.” We walked toward the door together. “and at least it isn’t just the bad shit repeating itself.”

“What do you mean?” Xavier asked pulling the door open. I walked through and he followed after me.

“You and I were born on the same day. Our parents were best friends.” I whispered. “Me and Isla, we’ve sort of slipped with all this distance. But she’s only a few weeks ahead of me. It’s like history repeating… again.”

Xavier let out a laugh and flung his arm over my shoulder. “Xavier and Scarlett 2.0 you reckon.”

**

It was nearing 1pm by the time we made it back to the venue for the concert. I was running late for makeup, but I was so high on cloud nine that I didn’t really care. When I made it in side I was surprised to see DJ. He looked down his nose at me and took his fedora off as I slipped into the makeup chair.