No one wants damaged goods.

And that is what I was: damaged goods. I was damaged physically and mentally, and it’s a damage that I don’t think I could easily recover from.

It’s not that I am talking down on myself, but because it’s the sad truth.

I was brushing through my brown hair with a hairbrush now before tying it into a tight but messy bun at the back of my head.

I was already the talk of the town last week about having a huge scar across my cheek, and trying to hide the scar now won’t matter—everyone already saw and gossiped about it. It will be useless trying to hide the scars now.

“Sophia?”

I turn to the doorway and look at my grandmother. “Yes?”

“Are you doing okay?” She asks me.

I think about her question for a few seconds and then finally nod. “I think I am.” I then force a smile and place my hairbrush on my desk again. “Last week passed in a blur. Who said it won’t be the same with this week?”

I wore a cosy light blue hoody today with a plain tee-shirt underneath. The pair of black fitted jeans matched perfectly with my white slip-on sneakers.

My grandmother nods at me. “Well, you look really nice.” She comments.

“Thank you, Grandma.”

“Don’t be too long. Breakfast is ready downstairs. And your cup of coffee.”

I smile at her. “I won’t. I just want to grab my things and then I’ll head downstairs in a few minutes.”

My grandmother leaves my room and closes the door behind her.

I make sure to grab everything I’d need for school and then pack it neatly into my school bag.

Once I was ready to go, I join my grandmother in the kitchen.

Her plate was already in the sink and she had her cup of coffee in one hand.

She smiles at me when I sit down at the kitchen counter. “Are you ready to take on today?” She asks me, taking a sip of her coffee. “You seem ready.”

I nod, chewing my food completely and swallowing it down.

“I told you that you were going to be just fine.” She smiles.

I return the smile and look at my grandmother wondering what I did to deserve her. Everyone else in my life has left me, stopped talking to me, and ignored me, but my grandmother…she was supportive since the second I came here with my packed bags. She enrolled me in a new school because she knew I’d be strong enough to go through with it, and she supports me.

She loves me.

I wish I could say the same for parents.

My grandmother has done more for me in a few months than my parents have ever done in eighteen years.

My parents are nothing but abandoners.