19~the cut

I-LAND POV

"Wow what an eventful performance. We really had to think hard about this rounds' rankings, didn't we?" stated Sunmi looking to the others.

"Yes you are right Sunmi. For this round we had to rank the I-LANDERS from one to twelve, with the bottom three going to the GROUND." informed Bang Sihyuk.

Everyone hummed in agreement.

"What are your thoughts Hyunsik?"

The middle-aged man held his chin as he sighed deeply.

"Personally, I believe that these rankings are not reflective of the girls overall but rather this recent performance of 'Pretty boy'."

The hosts and CEO nodded their heads in accord.

"I'd like to tell the girls who didn't make the I-LAND cut to stay strong and not give up as this is not the end yet." the man finished as he stared into the camera lens lovingly.

"Yes that is true! As much as we are getting closer to the final 7 debut members, we will be having one more test round for the GROUNDERS to try and compete their way into the 9 finalists. This will include the I-LANDERS having to fight to save their positions."

The informative words echoed into the halls and backstage where the girls all widened their eyes in anxiety as well as excitement.

"We will now announce the I-LANDERS who will be moving to the GROUND."

The bright lights dimmed as lazer beams of spotlights soon scanned the judges table and screen.

The large monitor revealed the 12 I-LANDER applicant profiles rolling down like medieval scrolls.
Suspenseful music soon filled the atmosphere.

"The GROUNDERS are,"

The girls all held each other in fear and trembling except one who looked blanky at the floor.

"Choi Heeyoung, Seo Sunhee and finally..."

"Park Soojin."

•••

JAKE POV

What?
S-soojin is what?

My chest tightened at the announcement as I watched as the girls' flawless profile turn dark, indicating her removal from the I-LAND.
My eyes enlarged in awe of the situation as my thoughts immediately went to Soojin.

Oh my God Soojin.
Please be okay
This isn't you fault
Please don't give up.

The show's segment was over and without wasting a second I sprinted my way over to the waiting room backstage.

I don't care if i messed up.
I don't if she thinks I'm an asshole.
I don't even care at this point if she's with Heesung.
I need to know she's okay.

Feeling the fierce wind push against my cheeks, I barged my way through the applicants and crew.
I soon arrived at a door and bent down to catch my breath.
Closing my eyes to mentally prepare myself, I cautiously opened the door.

"Shhh Soojin it's okay."

To my expectations, the sight revealed a caring Heesung patting the head of Soojin as she tucked her head into his chest.
My eyes softened at the sight of the girl with a blank expression.

Why am I always too late?
If I had just come earlier would I have been the one holding her?

My shoulders slumped defeatedly as I was consumed with my thoughts.

At least she's not alone.
I'm glad Heesung is comforting her

Am I?

I shook off the thought and eyed Heesung concerningly as I watched his gentle fingers caress her hair. Lucky lad.
I soon stopped myself from my selfish thoughts and instead focused on the wellbeing of Soojin.

You got this Soojin.
I believe in you.
You'll be in I-LAND again in no time.

•••

MISUN POV

I smiled in pure elation at the announcement. Turning my head to the other girls in the room I read their upset expressions.

Pft. Why are they sad?
The biggest bitch of group was now out of the house.

Imagining the sheer shock and devastation on Soojin's face gave me a rush of adrenaline I didn't know I had. God this was what I was waiting for.

Finally.
My hard work has paid off.

My thinking was interrupted when I noticed a familiar boy walk passed the doorway looking upset.

Jake?

I hopped off the couch and quickly sped after the idol.
I watched his movements as he made his way down the hall and into an empty room.
The boy slumped himself onto a couch and threw his head back.

Damn
He's probably upset about Soojin

Tsk
Stupid boy

I'll enlighten him with a little Misun.

I rewinded a few steps before walking past the door as naturally as I could.
Using as much of the acting skills I had in me, I whipped my head to the boy and chimed his name.

"Oh! Jake oppa! I didn't see you there. How are you?"
Ignoring his slightly annoyed expression, I made my way over next to him.

"Yeah I'm fine. I'll leave if u need this room." Jake stood up and gravitated towards the door.
I quickly moved from my spot and pushed him back down onto the couch forcefully.
The shocked boy looked at me in confusion and subtle disgust.
I sighed noticing his expression.

"No! Don't leave! How about we chat?" I asked, enlarging my eyes and holding my hands together tightly.
Jake again looked at me like I was crazy as he opened his mouth to most probably turn me down.

"Wait- Don't answer that! From an applicant to an idol how about you answer some of my questions?"

Smirking at my intelligent answer on the inside, I blinked my eyes at him waiting for an answer.
I watched as he visually gave up in defeat as he knew his desire to turn me down would be seen as rude as a role model.

"Uh sure I guess." the boy replied as he scratched his head in discomfort.
I smiled as I quickly made my way to the empty spot next to him.

"So Jake oppa,"

Before I could even begin the boy turned to me abruptly and quickly spoke.

"Um actually uh Misoo-ssi, I'd prefer you rather not call me oppa. Let's keep things professional."

My grin faded a little at his comment as a part of my pride shattered.

"Ah okay that's fine, Jake... also my name is Kim Misun not Misoo."

The boy nodded in a bored manner as he uncomfortably wriggled in his seat.

"Anyways I just wanted to ask you about how to manage stress."

"Stress?" Jake's face lit up a little.

"I guess I can give you some advice." he shrugged turning to face me.

Feeling like I had won, we continued to talk for another ten or so minutes before he had to leave for a group schedule.

I smirked as I leaned back on the couch and sighed in content. Now without Soojin, I have the girls AND the boys to myself.

I snickered.

That privileged bitch won't be around to defend herself with what happens next.

Park Soojin.
Have fun in the a GROUND.

You won't be coming back.