Chapter 19: Shopping Spree

Percy's POV:

Percy wasn't sure how he'd gotten here. Last thing he really remembered, was that it was a Monday of school, and the Stoll Brothers and Leo were pranking somebody, and then he was somehow in the principal's office, hearing that he had to join the homecoming planning committee. 

"So, what do you think the theme should be?" Gwen, the leader of the committee, said. She tugged on the edges of her green sweater nervously, and Percy felt bad for her. Nobody said a word. 

"What did we do last year?" Percy said, because, honestly, he didn't remember. 

Homecoming last year had been hectic, he certainly remembered that. Drew had asked him to it, but obviously, he hadn't said yes. He had Annabeth after all, and went with Jason as friends, mostly to stop all the rumors. 

"We did Candyland last year, because it was right near Halloween. This year, it's still close, but not as close, and I think we need something that isn't spooky," Gwen said. 

Right. He'd loved the candy they'd served. 

Gwen slapped down a piece of paper. "This year, our list of possible themes are stars, fairy tales, comic book, under the sea, garden, fall, country, disco, and casino."

"Not stars," Lacy said. "That should be Prom."

"Okay." Gwen crossed it off. 

"Maybe not comic book or disco either," a girl said. "Coordinating outfits with that would be hard."

Percy knew which one would be the best. "I think we should do under the sea."

"Why?" Gwen's stare was piercingly hard. 

The doors burst open, and Reyna and Jason came in. 

"Sorry we're late. Did you choose the theme?" Reyna said. 

"Well, I think we should do a sea-themed homecoming," Percy cut in. 

"Because of swimming?" Jason said. It was only part related to that. Yes, he liked water. Yes, he liked swimming. Yes, under the sea was the most related to that. No, he didn't really care. 

"Well, kind of, but also, we need one," Percy ended up saying. 

Gwen and Reyna exchanged a look. It kind of seemed to say: 

Reyna: he's stupid. 

Gwen: yeah. 

Reyna: he's kind of right though. 

Gwen: I suppose it could work. 

"All right," Gwen said. "Under the sea it is. Now, let's break into our groups. Logistics, Budget, Catering, Decorating, Entertainment, and Invitations."

Everyone started to claim a table for each sub group, stamping a sign on each one.

Since Percy was new, he wasn't sure which one he should join. "Um, which group am I in?"

Gwen barely glanced up. "Join Decorating."

As Percy walked to that table, he overheard conversations. 

"No, the poster should be green! Are you listening to what I'm saying?"

"I think we should get donuts from Eleanor's."

"No, it should be an EDM DJ."

"Bands are better!"

"Let's just humiliate everybody by making them sing, that's a great idea."