*****

Nates words played on repeat between Declan's ears as he mindlessly flipped through the TV channels in his room. He hated his friends assumptions, but what he hated more was that Nate was right. He had built up quite a reputation for himself and it was going to take a lot more than one conversation in a hotel hallway to explain what he was feeling for Lexi. Hell, he wasn't even sure he understood his own feelings for Lexi.

All Declan knew was that everything he felt for her was new and unfamiliar which made him feel uneasy, but curious. He wasn't just interested in her, he was captivated, intoxicated by her presence alone and his hunger to explore those feelings was all consuming despite the guilt he felt. He respected Nate and literally owed him his life. How could he betray his word to his best friend and why was he even considering it?

It was damn near impossible for Declan to sleep that night. Not only were Nate's harsh words and judgements still at the forefront of his mind, but he felt like he was going to come out of his skin at the thought of Lexi being in the next room. Was she happy? Was she sad? Was she hungry? Was she too hot or too cold? He actually cared about her which was a shock to his system. This new Declan was unsettling and someone that he himself was still trying to understand.

Thoughts about Lexi buzzed through Declan's head as he searched desperately for sleep. He didn't want to break Nate's trust, but this burning in his chest indicated that he might not have a choice.

It had been an hour and Declan had only been able to drift in an out of sleep, never truly deep or restful. Caleb hadn't come to the room at all that night. Declan decided he had either passed out in the room with Marcus and Pierce or he had talked to Nate and was giving Declan space to cool down. Either way he didn't mind the solitude.

Changing his position for the hundredth time, he forced his eyes closed and tried his best to relax the tension in his body. Just as sleep was about to overtake him he heard Lexi's sweet voice.

Declan focused all of his attention as he searched the still air for any sound coming from her room. There it was again, a small whimper coming from the other side of the connecting door. Was she crying?

Standing up abruptly Declan moved to the door and pressed his ear against it. At first there was nothing, but then another small whimper. He could hear her voice much better now that he was closer.

"Please don't," she begged in a tone that was more desperate than sad.

Is someone else in the room with her?

Her sobs became louder and Declan was starting to come unglued. Every protective instinct in his body flared and his adrenaline spiked.

Unable to stand at the door and listen to her cry any longer Declan knocked on the connecting door he was currently leaning on.

"Lex? Everything okay?"

No response, just short sobs and the sound of rustling sheets.

Growing impatient Declan knocked again a little louder. "Lexi?"

Suddenly a sharp cry cut through the quiet of the room and slammed into Declan's ears. "Get off of me!" Lexi screamed.

Declan's legs were moving before he could command them as he snatched the extra room key from his jeans pocket on the floor.

Someone is hurting Lexi.

Barreling through the door, Declan scanned every corner of the room and evened out his weight in a fighting stance. He briefly considered grabbing his weapon off of the nightstand but decided against it during his mad dash to Lexi's room. He was more than capable of taking a life with his bare hands and in his rage filled state he wanted that satisfaction.