Chapter Thirty Five

Lexi~

"Leave her alone!" Lexi wailed as two men dragged Claire out Declan's back doors.

"Shut the fuck up!" Asher hissed, yanking and binding Lexis wrists behind her back at an unnatural angle.

The clicking of the zip ties was followed by a wave of pain at her wrists as Asher pulled them as tight as he could manage.

Grabbing a fist full of her hair at the scalp, the second man pulled her to a standing position and seemed to be just as brutal and heartless as Asher.

Don't you dare cry Lexi. Don't show them any weakness. Stall...fight until Declan can get to you.

As soon as she felt the man's hand release her hair she took off for the front door. Asher lunged for her but she side stepped him using the tricks the team had taught her, but before she could reach the door she felt a strong hand take hold of her bound wrists from behind. The other man jerked her backwards and down to the ground hard causing her head to bounce off the tiled floor.

"You weren't lying. She's more trouble than she's worth," He ground out as he spoke to Asher.

The world spun around her for a few seconds before she was able to fully focus. 

Her gaze was set on the men outside who had Claire. Their faces were cruel and unforgiving and Lexi's body writhed on the floor in an effort to inch her way toward them. If they were going to die she at least wanted to be able to comfort her friend. 

The two men laughed at her feeble attempt to move her body across the room, but she didn't let their wickedness deter her focus. Her eyes were glued to Claire as she inched across the floor, but she froze when she saw what looked like red paint suddenly spray across the large windows.

Is that blood?

Asher's cackling laughter faded into panic at the sight of the blood spatter. 

Two loud pops followed from outside. One came from the back yard and the other from the side yard.

Declan.

"Shit! They're coming from all sides!" The other man screamed as he scrambled toward the front door.

"Go pull the truck in front of the house, Packard is coming for this right here and I can handle him," Asher seethed as he yanked Lexi up and pushed a gun to her throbbing temple.

As if summoned by the sound of his name Declan's shadowy form came into view with his gun trained on Asher. His steps were silent and controlled and with a rifle hanging across the front of his sweatshirt and a pistol in his powerful hands. 

"Let her go Asher."

Declan's powerful voice filled the room.

"You take one more step and you'll be mopping her brains off your floor." Asher pushed the gun harder against Lexis temple and used her as a human shield like the coward he was.

"What do you want?" Declan asked not daring to move.

"I want you to drop your weapons and kick them away before I start blowing holes in your girl."

Asher cocked the gun with his thumb.

"Okay. Whatever you want. I'll lay my weapons down. Just don't hurt her."

Holding his palms out, Declan slowly placed his pistol on the ground and kicked it in front of him.

"That big ass rifle too," Asher said pressing the gun harder into the side of her skull.

"Take your finger off that trigger man, I'm doing what you ask." Declan eased the rifle strap up over his head and slowly placed it on the floor as well.

"See. I'm no threat to you right now. So just leave. Let her go and just leave." Declan remained still with his palms in the air.

"Yeah you know what. I think I have changed my mind after all." Asher's tone changed slightly before turning his weapon on Declan.

"I think I'll kill you in front of her first."

Lexi couldn't contain the scream that erupted from her mouth as her heart seized beneath her ribs.

"No! Please no!" She wailed as her knees wobbled.

"Yeah there it is. That's the sound I've been dying to hear." Asher's sickening words and delight in her tears made Lexi's stomach churn.

With arms up in surrender position he held his rigid posture, flexing and tensing every muscle in his body, containing the beast within for the sake of her safety.

"So what do you say Declan? Care to put on one last show for Lexi Lou?" Asher's laughter was sadistic and maniacal.

"Look away, Lex." Declan commanded.

He was about to die in front of her and didn't want her to have to suffer through that image, but she couldn't leave him. She couldn't abandon him like his mother and everyone else before her.

"No. I won't leave you like that. I'm here, Dec." she cried.

"I don't want you to see this." His voice was rough and desperate.

"I only see you." She whimpered softly.

Three loud pops rang out in rapid succession, hitting Declan center mass, blowing large holes in his sweatshirt. His body to jerked back with each impact before he slumped and crumbled to the floor.

Lexi's legs gave out beneath her and she screamed his name as she felt a piece of her soul leave her body. She sobbed as Asher threw her over his shoulder keeping her gaze locked on Declan's lifeless body begging him, willing him to move.

Please get up. Please. Please Declan!

His motionless chest was the last thing she saw before Asher made his way out the front door and threw her into the truck. 

**********************************

Don't forget to vote and comment - Tell me all your thoughts and opinions on this chapter!