Step 15: Questions

26/12/94

"Questions? Merlin, this sounds serious."

"Only I can sound Sirius."

"Shut up, I'm being se-..."

"Say it..."

"...I'm being serious."

"Ha! Well you're not doing a very good impression of me."

"Ok, now shut up and listen to Harry."

"Thanks, Remus. And no they aren't serious - don't you dare say anything - questions. Just questions about your relationship!"

"Oh, well alright." Sirius lied down on the couch in the Potters' living room and put his head in Remus' lap. Remus automatically started running his fingers through Sirius' hair. "Go ahead and ask away!"

"Ok, how did you guys meet?"

Remus looked down at Sirius. "It was on the train in first year, right?"

Sirius smiled at the memory. "Yeah it was! I came over to sit with you because you looked all scrawny and lonely and we gave you chocolate. I think we might have started the addiction."

Remus laughed. "Yeah, I think you did." Then he turned to Harry. "What are these for, anyway?"

"Oh, just writing a speech for your wedding."

Remus choked on the chocolate he was eating and Sirius shot up from where he was laying across Remus' lap. "You what?!"

"I know you're not engaged, I just know it'll happen some time soon."

"Merlin, Harry, I thought you spoiled a proposal!" Sirius laughed and patted his godson's shoulder.

Remus laughed too, but not a very happy laugh. "Yikes, that would be terrible! I need more chocolate." And with that he stood up and left the room in search of chocolate.

He never found any chocolate, but he did run into Lily, who grabbed his arm and pulled him into the bathroom, locking the door behind them. Remus sat on the edge of the bathtub with his head in his hands and Lily leaned against the sink.

"So? How did last night go? Did you ask him?"

"No, I didn't. Merlin, Lily, why is this so difficult?"

"Well you already know he'll say yes!"

"No, I actually don't."

Lily rolled her eyes and sat down next to Remus. "Yes, you do. He loves you so much, Remus."

Remus sighed. "Aren't you supposed to be focusing on keeping your son alive, not my love life?"

Lily slapped his arm lightly and laughed, then hugged him. "Of course I'm supposed to try to keep my son alive, but I also need to take care of you."

"I know you think you do, but I can take care of myself. I'm 34 years old, Lily."

"I believe you. Do it when you're ready, ok? But do it soon. We can't have Harry getting married before you do! I mean, you've heard how he talks about Ginny Weasley."

Remus laughed. "Don't worry. I'll do it soon."

~~✩☽~~

Harry watched Remus leave the room, then broke down laughing at his godfather. Sirius just stared at him.

"What? What's so funny?"

"You- I almost exposed your proposal!" He fell off of his chair laughing as Sirius put a hand over his mouth.