Step 2: Stay Friends With Remus Lupin

"Remus, please!" Sirius pounded his fist on the dormitory door again. "Open the door so we can talk to you!"

"There's nothing to talk about," came a muffled voice from inside. "I'll just pack my bags and be off." As tough as Remus tried to sound, Sirius could hear him sniffling and sobbing.

"Remus don't be stupid!" James came up behind Sirius after retrieving their wands from the common room where they dropped them.

It had been two weeks since Sirius found out Remus was a werewolf.

It had been one and a half weeks since James and Peter found out.

They had been trying to figure out where Remus kept disappearing to for all of first year and the first two months of second year. Then, it hit Sirius. He disappeared with a pattern. It was always the full moon.

He hadn't told anyone at first, as it was quite a serious (Sirius) accusation, but after he spent days in the library looking up symptoms of being a werewolf, he was sure.

A werewolf will disappear once a month to transform somewhere which will keep surrounding people safe.

Check.

A werewolf will most likely have scars. These scars are silver tinged and will never fade away.

Check.

Werewolves have an aversion to silver. Their skin will burn when it comes in contact with it and they will feel sick when in the close vicinity of it.

Check.

Werewolves will most likely have a comfort food that perks them up after a transformation. It can range anywhere from a sweet to a three course meal.

Check. That explains his chocolate addiction.

It all made sense once Sirius thought about it for a few days, so he approached James and Peter with the idea.

A week and a half earlier

"Ok. I might be wrong so don't do anything extreme right now, but..." Sirius took a deep breath. "I think Remus is a werewolf."

James and Peter were quiet for a second before James spoke up.

"That's quite the accusation, Sirius. He could be killed for that."

"That's why I'm not telling anyone except you two about this. And you two can't tell anyone. Promise?"

James and Peter both nodded.

"Isn't it sort of..." Peter bit his lip and thought out his words carefully. "I don't know... dangerous to have a werewolf at school? Not to mention illegal?"

"Yes, I suppose it is." Sirius nodded gravely. "But Dumbledore must have found some way around that. I mean, no one has died in the past year we've gone to school here."

"Well what if Dumbledore doesn't know?"

"That doesn't change the fact that nobody has been hurt."

James sighed. "We need to keep this to ourselves to assure that Remus doesn't get hurt. Next full moon is in a little over a week. If he disappears then, we can confront him afterword. But we have to make sure he knows that we don't think of him any differently and that we love him, right?"

Sirius and Peter nodded. "Right."

A little over a week after that

Remus had disappeared again.

That pretty much proved Sirius' theory to be true.

Remus was a werewolf.

James, Sirius, and Peter had watched Remus walk out of the great hall and in the direction of the hospital wing at lunch that day. He had looked ill and been very tired that day. He didn't even take notes in their classes, which he was usually very thorough about.