Step 3: Disown The Name Black

TW for child abuse and near death experiences. During the TW, it just talks about Sirius getting disowned and having a nightmare/flashback (the nightmare isn't described more than in sleep talking). Please take care of yourself <3

TW starts

It was almost midnight when James heard a light tapping at his front door. He had been sitting in the living room, playing wizard chess with his mum while his dad read. He stood up and walked to the door, grabbing his wand on the way. Just in case. But when he looked through the peep hole, he threw open the door immediately.

Standing in front of him was a soaked to the bone, shivering, way too skinny, hollow looking, Sirius Black holding an, also soaked, suitcase and a wand.

"Bloody Hell, Sirius, what happened?"

That was when Sirius passed out.

~~✩~~

"Fleamont, go get the unforgivables cure potion. It's in the cabinet, top shelf."

"Sirius? Sirius can you hear me?"

"His heartbeat is fading."

"Come on, Sirius, stay with me!"

Sirius could hear people calling him, but he was stuck somewhere between consciousness and unconsciousness. He wanted to call out to the people holding him to tell them he was alright, despite the fact that he clearly wasn't alright, but he couldn't. As he looked around himself, he saw that he was surrounded by pitch black except for a small white light in front of him.

The white light felt comforting to Sirius. Like he was supposed to go there.

So he started to walk towards it.

About halfway to the light, Sirius started hearing voices. One of which sounded a lot like his late Uncle Alphard.

"Turn back," the voice said. "It's not your time, Sirius. You need to go back."

Sirius stopped walking. "Why?"

"They need you, Sirius, and you need them. Go back. Now."

Sirius obeyed the voice and walked back into the pitch black. The further he walked, the more pain he felt. It started as just a prickle at his fingertips and on his toes, but progressed to the same pain he felt when he had received the cruciatus curse earlier that afternoon. When he couldn't walk any further, he fell to the ground and passed out.

~~✩~~

"Sirius, please come back! Please!" James was crying now, gripping Sirius' hand like it was the only thing keeping him alive. "I can't lose you! Come on!"

"His heartbeat is returning." Euphemia let out a breath of air that she didn't know she was holding in.

Suddenly, Sirius' eyes flew open and he started coughing and sobbing.

"Sirius! Oh thank merlin you're alive. What happened?"

After he received a couple healing potions and was calm enough to talk again, Sirius only said two things to the Potters.

"Thank you." was the first, directed to all of them, and the second was directed to Euphemia, "I'm so tired, mum."

Euphemia nodded and picked him up to carry him to his bedroom. She lied him down on the bed, cast a drying spell on his clothes, pulled the blankets over him, and shut the lights off. James and Fleamont dropped his bags in the hallway outside the door. A folded up, slightly damp, document fell out of the pocket of the jacket Sirius was wearing as they hung it up. James unfolded it, thinking it might explain a bit about what happened.