Chapter 26 - Boomeranging decisions

Beginne am Anfang

"Dad is everything okay?" I asked as I dragged a chair close to his and sat.

"We are about to find out." He said as he closed the file he was looking at.

I furrowed my brows and stared at him, "What are you talking about? Who was that woman that seemed to heighten the tension in this house?."

"Do you know that woman?" He questioned.

"If I did I certainly won't be asking you about her." I retorted.

He bowed his head and muttered something inaudibly before turning to me, "Nonso my son, I want you to know that I love you and all the decisions I took was all for your safety and happiness."

Huh! What is he talking about? He's sounding like one of those grandpas in the movies that plans their death wish long before they actually die.

"You lost me there Dad. What is going on?" I gestured with my palms confusedly.

He cleared his throat and began. "That woman you saw is the reason why..."

"Daniel!!"

I turned to see Mother standing by the door with arms akimbo fuming heavily.

"You can't just come in here without permission." Dad spat obviously irritated.

"Why? I'm your wife!" She rolled her eyes and hissed loudly.

"Out." He ordered.

She sighed defeatedly, "I'm sorry. I just need to talk to you right now, it's really important." She eyed me dangerously as she referred to him.

For a moment it was as if they were discussing with their eyes, "I'll be back son." Dad said as he left.

Something is going on in this house and I will definitely find out what that thing is.

I shuffled through the papers on Dad's reading table but I didn't find anything worth of my time so I tiptoed to the door and gently placed my ears on the door.

"Do you really want to do this?" I heard mother ask.

"He will find out anyways. They all will." Dad said calmly.

"Have you thought about the repercussions? How much this information will cost us?" She striked again.

"But.."

"She will go back to the shell she crawled out from. I will not allow her to ruin the peace of this home and you as my husband should understand this more than anyone else. All the houses. All the money. Think about it before spilling to your son." With that the discussion stopped and I heard footsteps.

I scurried back to the chair I was sitting on and sat timidly.
Dad walked in almost immediately and sat at his study table and stared blankly. 

"So about the woman..." I tried sparking up a discussion.

"She's just a family friend. I and her father were business partners so she was just here for business." He deadpanned.

"You sure?" I raised a brow at him.

"Do you think I will lie to you?"

"No Dad. Definitely not but is that why you called me here? To tell me about your business partners?" I queried with knitted brows.

"You can go." He ordered sternly.

Asking further questions would be a very stupid move so I gently got up.

"Errmm... Okay." I stuttered a reply and headed towards the door.

"When will you start your exams?" He questioned as I was about leaving.