Chapter 1.21

Chapter 1.21 – Arrival

A rapid knocking came from my door, and I jumped up in my seat in front of the vanity, causing Aimee to accidentally jab me with a bobby pin. I let out a yelp of pain rubbing the back of my head only for Aimee to swat my hand away. She lets out a tsk and puts down her tools and rushes over to the door, opening it in a huff. Lady Carolyn's maid Eevie comes running in seemingly frantic.

"Aimee! I absolutely need to borrow your wide tooth comb and some hair gel!" she shouts out, rummaging through the drawers at the vanity.

"Eevie girl calm down! It's not in there. Give me a second to go grab it from my room," she says hurrying over to her room to grab it. This was the second time a maid had come running to Aimee for help with the first being Lady Matilda's maid Bethany coming in pleading for Aimee to give up some of her precious bobby pins. But everyone was on edge today.

The diplomats were arriving today.

Everyone had woken up early and rushed down to the dining room to eat. The lot of us wanted to put the last finishing touches on the dresses we designed, and the maids were at work figuring out how to style out hair and what shoes to match. The tension in the air was so thick that it could be cut with a knife. Nobody really talked during the meal except for the royal family, who chatted excitedly about the guests that were to come. If anything though, I think we were all worried about Prince Nikolai and how to avoid him.

"Here you go Bethany," Aimee says, coming back into my room with hair supplies in hand. "Just run it back to me whenever you can."

"Oh, thank you!" She hugs Aimee quickly and then sprints out the room.

"Hopefully we won't have any more interruptions," Aimee says, closing the door and then returning to my hair. "All these distractions are driving me nuts, and I can't focus on what I'm doing."

"You're doing a fine job Aimee; don't worry about it," I reassure her with a smile and patting her hand. If anything, I thought that Aimee worked better under pressure, but I didn't want to tell her that.

"That's true. With your dress design and my expertise in hair styling and accessorizing, you're bound to be a show stopper. You're going to turn heads, and maybe that'll make Prince Elliot jealous and confess his feelings for you." She wiggles her fingers at me and hides her laughter behind her hand. I turn around and poke her in her sides, furiously blushing at her words.

Of course I had told her about my date with the Prince and how it made my heart flutter and pound. I told her everything that had happened between us because I trusted her with everything. She became my surrogate sister, and I was so thankful that I met her through all of this. And like my sister, she teased me relentlessly about my feelings for the Prince every chance she got. She constantly brought up our kisses and fantasized about the two of us getting married with her as my trusty bridesmaid.

She was more hopeful than I am about everything though. She believed that his heart belonged to me, and I didn't want to crush her dreams. I didn't know what he did throughout the day, so who's to say he's not wooing some other Lady. Even if I was falling for him, I didn't know if he was doing the same with me. He was going to marry one of the Ladies here, and there was only a small chance it was going to be me.

But it was still nice to think about us being happy together.

"Oh, Aimee stoop it," I say, bashfully covering the spreading blush on my face. I tried to take a few breaths to calm myself down, hoping the blush would fade from my face.

"I'm being serious though. Prince Elliot is bound to look at you I promise, and if not, I quit my job because that means I've failed you," she says as she continues to twist and pin my hair.