Chapter 1.25

Chapter 1.25 - The Trials

Day One:

The guards made rounds in the morning to wake all of us up.  Groans were heard throughout the hallway as we all tried to get up and dressed for the first day of the Trials.  None of us really liked to get up early, and the fact that we were going to be facing down criminals didn't make it any better.  It was scary to think about, and the daunting task of dealing out a punishment made the feeling of uneasiness multiply.  This was a side of government we were never meant to see until we came here.  We were reluctant to become part of this.

It took a lot of coaxing, but they were finally able to get all of us ready for the tiring day ahead of us.  A group of guards lead us down to the dining room where everyone who was employed by the palace were waiting.  With us there as well, we all ate a hearty breakfast knowing that it would be the last meal we would get for a while.  The royal family enjoyed their breakfast in another area of the castle.  Nobody wore a corset and ate as much food as we could handle.  I felt that Aimee and I were going to have an advantage over everyone else since we were used to going hungry.  Back home, it was normal to only have one big meal a week during the bad months of harvest.  Even when we would work ourselves to the bone for food and supplies, it was never enough to have three meals a day.  The best we could do was one everyday with an extra meal on a day or two.  We would be able to make it through this without any major repercussions.

After we had all finished eating as much as we could, the guards began to lead us out of the dining hall in groups until everyone was removed.  We were taken underground to one of the basement levels and brought into a large room with gallery seating throughout.  The staff of the castle were divided into two and were made to sit in the seats that lined the two side walls while we were directed to sit along the wall opposite of the entrance behind two thrones.  I assumed that the royal family would be sitting in front of us throughout the Trial, which was a little bit reassuring.

The royal family entered not long after we all became settled, dressed modestly.  They seemed somber about the whole ordeal mostly because they have done this for so long and knew to expect some horrors to come.  I noticed that the younger members of the family were not present.  This comforted me greatly because I don't believe the Trial would be something a child should witness.  Not that I thought this should be something I was involved in.  But there is nothing I can do about that.  We watched quietly as they made their way to their thrones and sat down except for King Xavier.

"Good morning everyone, and thank you all for joining my family and I for the first day of the 136th annual Trials.  It's no doubt that we all have a long journey ahead of us, but I am confident in everybody's ability to come out of the Trial stronger than before.  If at any point you feel that you need a break or must relieve yourself, please notify one of the guards near where you are sitting, and they will escort you out for a ten minute break.  Before we begin, I just want to say a few things.  By all means, do not engage with the criminals in anyway even if they call out to you.  It will only rile them up more, and we do not want any raucous to break out.  Also keep in mind that some of the crimes that will be described during the Trials could greatly disturb you.  No details will be held back, so if you find yourself having trouble falling asleep, please visit the Palace Doctor, to retrieve supplements that will help you sleep.  Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let us begin the 136th annual Trials!"

King Xavier sits down in his throne, and the doors to the chamber open to reveal a group of prisoners covered in chains and connected to one another.  The guards holing onto their chains lead them forward, and the criminals march into the room and stand in a line a few feet away from the King and Queen.  Lady Matilda clasped my hand as we took in the sight of them.  They were haggard with their hair having grown out and their clothes hanging off of them, absolutely filthy.  The smell in the room became putrid the longer they lingered in the room.  As they shuffled around, it became clear that some of the prisoners were women.  Some looked around the room trying to seem innocent while the rest stared straight ahead, motionless.  It was like some of them didn't realize how bad of a situation they've gotten themselves into.

Ellody And Elliotजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें