Chapter 20

Over the next hour Riona met several members of the pack. It was much easier to meet them in small groups than the pack as a whole. At first Riona struggled to find anything to say but luckily Erin would always chime in with a topic to talk about. It eased Riona in chatting with the the pack members and helped her to get to know everyone. It was clear to Riona that the Royal pack, despite being so big, were very loyal to each other. Everyone seemed to be family here. 

About 45 minutes into the meet a great a young woman with blonde hair and legs for days walked over to the group. She greeted everyone with a shrill "hi" before opening her arms to give Faolan a hug. Faolan stopped the woman by pushing her away with his hand. Riona still growled at the woman. The corners of Faolan's lips curled upward upon hearing that his mate was possessive of him. 

"Hello Chloe," Faolan blandly said. " I did not expect to see you. I thought you were visiting a friend in another pack." Chloe smiled confidently at Faolan ignoring Riona.

"Oh I was, but when I heard you had found a mate I had to rush back and see for myself." Chloe eyed Riona but didn't address her. She obviously meant it to be a slight Riona raised an eye appraising the woman before her. It was obvious Chloe had her eye of Faolan. Riona wasn't threatened by the woman's presence. She had seen woman act catty trying to put themselves in positions of power and had no interest in playing their games. Riona was sgaining confidence in herself and she knew that was in part because of Faolan. 

Faolan noticed Chloe's cold shoulder to his Luna and promptly dismissed her leaving Chloe with no choice but to walk away sulking. Faolan tilted his head towards his beloved mate. 

"You ok?" He was obviously nervous at how Riona would respond to Chole's overt friendliness. Riona just smiled softly and curled her hand into his. Faolan gave a slight squeeze in relief. 

Once everyone had settled and the introductions had been made, everyone began to move getting ready to shift before the run. Riona's nerves shot up. She could face all those people and smile as she talked with them, but this is what would truly terrify her. She looked at each of their faces. The happiness they all held.  Would her wolf accept them as they have accepted her, or will she do as she had done before and attack at the slightest provocation?

Before she could run away with her thoughts Faolan gave her hand another squeeze which broke Riona out of her loop. She looked up to meet his eyes. No words were spoken but Riona could see all Faolan wanted to say in his eyes. There she found nothing but care and safety sending the message he did not need to speak. "You are safe."

The crowd dispersed. Some going behind trees, others in houses to go change. Some brave souls stripped in the open. Riona still wanting to be modest slipped behind a tree. With each article of clothing she removed it felt like another piece of her shield was being chipped away. Even once she was completely naked, she stood quietly trying to calm her breathing. She felt for her wolf who was anxious to be let free. Silently in their joint mind she begged it to show restraint. Then almost like jumping off a cliff she called it forth. 

Her wolf sliced through her skin sprouting fur as she lunged forward to all fours. Immediately she felt the beast bucking and thrashing looking for an enemy to sink their teeth into. Riona tried to think tranquil thoughts to calm the animal. Slowly her wolf stopped its movement and stared into the trees. She felt her lungs sucking in air with each labored breath. Her claws scratched at the dirt and leaves under her.  

Riona was surprised to she her beast heed itself. For the first time in many year she relished the feeling and power she had while in her wolf. The feeling was short lived as a branch snapped near by and with it the thin line of control she had. Her wolf reverted to her thrashing and snarling. Riona tried to take back control but the wolf whipped its head back and forth preventing her from taking hold. As they both struggled for control the smell from the gathering wafted to them. Her wolf stilled at catching the scent. It paused only for a moment to process it. It took only a few precious seconds before the wolf recognized it. Wolves, and a lot of them. 

Her wolf started charging back towards the clearing. Rage filled its eyes as it was blinded with its fear. Wolves meant pain. Wolve would only hurt them.  They had only moments before she would reach the clearing and all hell would brake loose. Riona gave one last plea to her wolf but her wolf broke through it. Just when all hope was lost and black blur leapt out of the brush before landing in front of Riona. Riona's wolf snarled causing spit to fly from her mouth. The black wolf did not move, neither did it snarl back. Instead it just stared at the white wolf waiting. Faolan.

The pair stood there for a few minutes. Riona's wolf was hunched over teeth bared. Faolan just stood there patiently waiting but not yielding. Almost like a cold snap sweeping in, Riona felt as her wolf relaxed and calmed under the stare. Without breaking eye contact Riona felt as the tension seeped away and the wolf laid down as her anger dispersed. 

Once she was laying on the ground Faolan walked closer to Riona and laid next to her. 

Hello mate, she heard him say through their link. He then licked her snout. Her wolf got annoyed with the gesture but did not strike back. Instead she laid her head down to rest on her paws letting out a large sigh. Her wolf liked being near Faolan and the quiet strength he had in his energy but her wolf would never want to admit it. Faolan didn't seem to mind. He shifted his weight to move closer. Riona could feel every point of contact they had along their long bodies. 

I told you I could handle your wolf. Even though it wasn't said out aloud, Riona could still hearing the teasing tone in the message. She tried to reply back to him through the link but it became all muddy. Riona grew frustrated at not being able to communicated with him. Don't worry, he called. You'll get it with time. Riona smiled at his sentiment. 

Despite there being a gathering not far way, Faolan seemed in no hurry to return to them. He was giving Riona the chance to adjust to her wolf in a way she hadn't in so many years. It wasn't until more than 30 minutes had passed before Riona felt ready to move. Still not being able to call out to Faolan, Riona simply called her wold to stand. For the first time in many years her wolf heeded the command. Faolan shuffled away as Riona rose to her feet. Once standing she turned to look at Faolan tilting her head as if to say Are you coming? Faolan's wolf sprung to his feet with his tongue rolling out in excitement. Faolan walked forward a few steps before looking back at Riona. You ready for a run?