Chapter 48, Along The Blurry Lines

Start from the beginning

"Ichiko Uchiha died in child birth and Hayate died while he was on an imperative top-secret mission".

Shisui and I stared wide-eyed at each other. The look on our faces screamed the same thing.

"Why didn't they tell her?!"

Shisui and I stared at each other intensely, we just hoped we knew what the other was thinking. What I was thinking right now was to divert the subject from the Mangekyō Sharingan so no one suspects that someone from the Uchiha clan was actually responsible for the incident seven years ago.

"I think we should capture Madara Uchiha", I finally said, earning everyone's attention.

"You're talking as if that's going to be an easy task", a council member retorted back at me.

"I'm sure that's not what my son meant", father stood up for me, and for once I actually smiled.

My eyes suddenly scrutinized the petite butterfly that stood still on the back of my hand, not budging. It's wings were moving accordingly to catch my attention.

"According to the report from that night it was mentioned that Madara eluded the place by simply disappearing from the scene completely", one of the old geezers insert.

"That's true", my father chirped in, taking everyone's attention, "he used some sort of Jutsu to make himself disappear, we witnessed it all".

"This man was masked right? He could be anyone", a member of the Anbu remarked.

A member of the Uchiha Police Force stated, "he also said something quite vague", at this, everyone fell silent as to listen to what he has to say.

"He said that he had a change of heart. That the Uchiha clan was supposed to be slaughtered by him. He also said something about being in pursuit of someone. It might seem ridiculous, but he said he'll be in pursuit of the rabbit".

Abruptly, Shisui and I flinched when a round of laughter erupted around the table.

"Did the almighty Ghost of The Uchiha have no one else in mind to pursue", a former member of the Anbu joked, his shoulders shaking from laughter.

Aside from the Police Force and The Hokage, the only person who didn't consider what was said absurd, and the one I didn't notice until now was Shikaku Nara.

"It's not so funny...", I muttered under my breath. As the laughter died down, I couldn't take my eyes off of Shikaku Nara. He had a stern and focused expression on his face. As the Hokage's advisor, I knew for a fact that he didn't take everything as a joke. He was smarter than that and more reserved.

"Maybe he was directing that statement towards someone who was present that night", Shikaku's remark rendered everyone dumbfounded and silent.

Oh damn...

"Maybe he felt someone's presence there, after all a skilled group of Danzo's Root Anbu was found dead around the woods neighboring the Naka Shrine", Shikaku asserted, his eyes roaming the people around the table.

Oh damn the Nara and their brains...

"That doesn't seem very far-fetched", someone remarked.

The only thing I could do right now is stare at Shisui in horror. In return, Shisui frowned upon me, gesturing for me to keep calm and not act suspicious. I swallowed the lump in my throat and maintained my composure.

"Pursuant to the report", the geezer from the councilmen chirped in, his wrinkles deepening as he spoke, "the act was done fast enough that the report from the morgue confirmed that they all died almost exactly at the same time, with a deep slash to the throat".