Chapter 51

∼December 29, 2021∼

*Sofia's P.O.V.*

We got to Tulum yesterday and Niall told me that Liam is planning on proposing to Maya today at the beach. He asked all of us to help him. He's going to take Maya on a romantic late lunch just the two of them, while we help the staff set up everything at the beach. He's planning on proposing during sunset, it's going to be perfect.

"Niall, could you move those two candles to the left a little bit?" I asked him. We were in charge of setting up the heart candle and I honestly thought that it would be easier.

"Here?" He asked as he moved them.

"Yes! That's perfect." Now we only had like 20 more candles to set. 

An hour later, we had almost everything ready. There was a path of rose petals leading to the heart made out of candles on the sand. There were also huge wooden letters that spelled Marry Me behind the heart. And next to it a huge bouquet of roses. It looked beautiful. All that was left was for Liam and Maya to get here. Liam texted Zayn to let him know that they were already on the way. 

"They'll be here in 10." Zayn announced.

"Let's turn on the candles." Gigi instructed. We were using fake candles, since it was pretty windy and if we were to use normal ones, they would start going out before they even got here.

"Here they come." Cami whisper shouted as we all moved, so that Maya wouldn't see us. Liam had hired a professional photographer, but that didn't stop us from whipping out our phones to commemorate the moment. We were a bit far away so we couldn't actually hear what they were saying, but when I saw Liam get on one knee, I couldn't stop a tear from rolling down my cheek. I was so happy for them. 

"Yes! Of course!" We heard Maya exclaim seconds before Liam placed the ring on her finger and then kissed her.

"Congrats!" We all jumped out of our 'hiding' spot and ran to congratulate them.

"Congrats man." I heard Niall tell Liam as he hugged him.

"Oh my god, congratulations!" I hugged Maya.

"Girl, show us the ring!" El demanded as Maya stuck out her hand, showing us the rock on her hand. It was absolutely stunning, the most gorgeous ring I had ever seen. We were all so happy for them, both Liam and Maya couldn't stop smiling the whole night, it showed how in love they were and it was absolutely adorable.

∼December 31, 2021∼

"I can't believe this is the second New Years Eve we get to spend together." I exclaimed as Niall and I headed to the party were we were going to meet the rest of the guys.

"Me neither. It flew by." 

"I know right? Wow."

"But I'm so happy that I'm getting to spend another New Years Eve with you. And in both feet." He added, making us laugh. The doctor had indeed told him that he could stop using crutches on the 20th, so he had a crutch-less Christmas and now also a crutch-less NYE. It was difficult at first, he had to get used to using his knee again, but now it was almost back to normal. He only had a small limp, but it was barely noticeable.  

"Yes! That's great. It doesn't hurt anymore right?" I asked, the first few days after he was back on his two feet, his knee hurt a little bit.

"Not at all. I mean, it's still tender when I touch it and it does hurt if I press, but other than that, there's no pain."

"I'm so happy to hear that." Besides the small limp, there was no other way to tell Niall had been in a car accident a month ago. All of his bruises were gone, his ribs had healed, it was safe to say he was almost a 100% recovered. And I was so grateful for that, I didn't expect him to recover this quick. 

"Look who finally decided to show up." Louis exclaimed as we got to the table, everyone else was already here.

"Lou what are you talking about? You got here a minute ago."

"Thank you Harold, they didn't know that." Louis raised his eyebrows at Harry, making us all crack up. 

We spent the whole night dancing and drinking, except for Gigi obviously. We were having the time of our lives, I couldn't be happier. 

"10..9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1" We all chanted in unison as the clock struck 12. "Happy New Year!" We all cheered. 

"Happy New Year petal." Niall smiled at me.

"Happy New Year Nialler." I replied before crushing my lips to his. I was glad he was once again my midnight kiss. And I was hoping he'd be my only one from here on. 

As we broke apart from our kiss, I started reflecting on our lives this past year. A lot of things had changed, now we were living together in Los Angeles, we went from spending a few days together to basically being with each other 24/7, heck I'm even touring with him. Wow. I'm not gonna lie, it's not all been butterflies and rainbows, we've had a few bumps along the road, but I can say, for sure, that this year, well the past year and a half, has been the best of my life and something tells me that it's only going to keep getting better. I can't wait to see what's in store for us in 2022.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hey there guys! First of all Happy New Year! First chapter of the year! I hope you all had a great NYE and let's hope that 2021 is better than 2020 (because we all know 2020 sucked big time haha) Thank you for reading the chapter, hope you liked it! I can't believe this story is almost at a 100k reads, wow! I want to thank you all for the incredible support you've given me and my stories, you have no idea how happy you have made me! If you haven't read Small Talk, I would suggest that you read that one first so that you can understand this story. I'm really hoping you enjoy it and any suggestions and/or grammar corrections are more than welcome. Don't forget to follow me, vote and comment, it really helps me out and I'd love to hear your thoughts! If you're obsessed with 1D make sure to check my TikTok account, I upload daily vids of the boys, it's @cristylealr, it would mean the world to me. I'm so grateful for all the love you're giving my stories and my tiktok vids!