Chapter 19: At least try

"Charlotte was trembling with fear as Frederic put his hand on her cheek. She couldn't quite tell what was hiding in his piercing eyes but dread the worse. 

Want to find out what happens next? Buy tome 3 of Charlotte Mcbeary!"

Really?! It's really going to end like that? I want to know what Frederic has in his pocket! Surely he doesn't mean to scare Charlotte. Sneaky book...

I was reading while walking across the school. I'm going outside to eat my lunch, I don't feel like going to this horrid cafeteria. As I turn a corner I bump into a little girl going way too fast. I let go of my lunch box and I hear it scatter on the floor. My lunch box... I simply fix my lunch with sad eyes. RIP, I loved you. At least my book is fine.

"Hey! How dare you make my sister fall and not say sorry!"

Are they screaming at me? I look around and no one beside me is there, so I guess yes. 

"She was the one running in the corridor!" I turn to look who were talking to me, and it's-

"Well if it's not our dear Tom-Tom!"

"Ugh, Angelica, don't call me that." She goes to see if her sister is alright with another girl following her.

"You know this prick, Angie?" The little girl, which is not that small it's just in comparison to me she's an ant, glare at me.

"Okay, okay sorry, I didn't mean to make you fall but this is why you don't run in the school."

"Were you really running Peggy? 'Cause if yes, you should be the one saying sorry!" Angelica put her fists on her hips.

"Arggh, sorry... Tom-Tom." Is she laughing at me!? 

"Hey, hey stop that! No Tom-tom, Angelica tell her to not call me Tom-Tom!"

"Sure thing, Tommy."

"Hey! Noooo, no Tommy no nothing, it's Jefferson and only Jefferson!" The girl who was following this intellectually stupid child was trying to make them stop laughing at me. 

"I'm going."

"No, Jefferson we're stopping, okay?" 

"Okay, but you better buy me lunch!"

"Sure, you'll have to eat with us though."

My plan officially flees away with my scattered lunch. Oh well, for today it's fine.

"So, you have sisters?"

"Yes, this is Elizabeth, which you can call Eliza and this is Peggy!"

"Nice to meet y'all, I'm Thomas Jefferson, Angelica's classmate."

"Yeah, He's one of the guys I did my project with."

"Who's the other guy?" Eliza held the door for us as we start hearing the cacophony.

"Alexander Hamilton, you know him, it's the guy who I bitch slapped last year."

I shot her a look.

"Wait, what? I want to hear that story!" 

"Sure, but after I take your lunch, go sit somewhere."

We all awkwardly sit. The only thing we had in common was gone. 

"So, what year are you in?"

"I'm a sophomore! It's really the worse I'm telling you, the teachers are so cruel." Peggy seems so excited to talk, it's funny.

"Haha, it's really one of the worse years. And Eliza?"

"Junior, but I'm not in this school."

"Really?"

"I'm in the music program in the private school. I got a scholarship–"

"Blablabla, you always  and up talking about that, huh?"

"Hey! It's normal, I'm very proud of it!"

"I'm jUst vEry prOud Of it."

They start arguing. Well, I guess that's a sibling thing. I mean, that's what people told me. I don't personally know, and I don't think I want to personally know. Having a sibling sounds very unpleasant. It's like having a friend you can't get rid of. Lucky for me, I don't have siblings! Just a friend that kinda feels like a brother, I'm talking about James. 

"I'm back– Stop fighting you two, you're making Jeff uncomfortable."

"Who said I was uncomfortable?"

"Please, you looked dead inside, if you were not uncomfortable and don't want to know what you were thinking."

"You got a point. So what am I eating."

"A sandwich, my dear."

"Just that!?"

"Better than nothing."

"Aww, you're going to tell that story right?"

"Yes okay."

She sits next to me and takes her sweet time before talking.

"Me and my sisters were at a small party. Nothing big but big enough that I don't know everyone. I already knew Alexander, so when he walked toward me, I wasn't suspicious. He smelled alcohol and a lot of it. His friends were just behind him chuckling. He took my face in his hand and–"

"He kissed her!" Peggy jumps and screams. 

"Yes, sit down. So when I realize what he did I was at first shocked but when he said "You own me ten bucks!" I was furious! You don't kiss someone without their consent for a bet! So I slapped him."

"He was drunk, right?"

"Yes, but it doesn't make it right."

"You're not angry at him?"

"No, he explains himself and said sorry. Of course, it doesn't erase what he did, but he seemed really sorry." 

Huh, Hamilton doesn't seem the kind of guy to get himself so drunk. I guess you never really know.

The conversation continues to go in every possible direction. 

"Did you make a lot of friends here?" Eliza's voice is so calm, she could do ASMR.

"Heh, not really. I had Aaron, but we're in a sort of fight or something. I keep trying to talk to him but every time he just ignores me! I'm not even sure what I did wrong."

"You don't even have an idea?"

"Well, I was with Hamilton, and maybe he's mad 'cause he doesn't like him?"

"We're talking about Aaron Burr here, right? He's not the kind to be this petty."

"So what could it be?"

"Are you sure you didn't do anything wrong?"

"Yes! He wasn't there to eat with me, so the rev' gang hung out with me. I mean, I have the right to eat with other people if you're not even there!"

"Of course you can, but... Okay, I really don't know. As I said, Burr is not this petty, he wouldn't completely ignore someone for nothing. Considering he doesn't even have that many friends, he wouldn't ignore you for nothing."

She seems to be thinking really hard.

"Try talking to him again, you deserve to at least know."

"Shouldn't I just let him be. He doesn't want to see me."

"You need to at least try."