Fishermen

Artwork By uurtemis ☾ on ArtStation

It must've been 3:00 am. 

Luna had winnowed from Az hours ago and she still felt like shit. Xia was right. She was a coward. Even when Luna was sent by the Queen of Hybern to hunt fae down, she was a coward. She only struck when it was dark, always followed until they were alone, always made sure to never know their names or think of their families.

Luna chugged down the bitter liquid from the bottle she'd stolen from a busy bar.

Even when she vowed to herself that she would save her brother. Her people. Her home. Fifty years later and she was still tied to Hybern and him.

Aidhen. His name, even when thought, felt like a curse. She still jolted from her sleep from memories of that place. 

Even if it was a short-lived visit, she could still feel the heat from the ruby-red fire that seemed to line every wall of his palace. 

"Don't cry, girl." Aidhen purred as he stalked to his throne. 

Luna sobbed on the dark stone floor that was rough enough to burn her skin if she moved too quickly.

"I'm sorry I could not save your mother. But she would've been a complication. One that I'm too tired to deal with. Well...not anymore I suppose." He grinned to himself.

"Please. Please don't hurt me." Luna gasped as she shook violently.

"Hurt you? Oh no...You're much too valuable." He said eyeing her up and down in disgust.

He clicked his tongue and jerked his head up as he said,

"Stand."

Luna did.

"Look at me, girl."

Again, Luna obeyed.

"You are a guest here. You will stay with me for a while."

Luna looked around under furrowed brows.

Aidhen saw the question in her eyes before she could speak it and answered,

"You're in Hel, dear." He said grinning from one ear to the other.

Luna saw black and crashed to the floor.

-------

Luna winnowed in the dead of the night.  She didn't dare walk around the manner. If any High Lord caught her scent near their place of rest, it wouldn't end well. 

So she stayed in the foyer. Everyone was asleep. She began walking over to the dining room when she scented someone there. She began to reach for a dagger that wasn't there. Hand to hand combat it was then. 

Elain.

What was Elain doing here? Was she not supposed to be in the Night Court?

Someone else was with her.  The scent became lustful and thick.  Luna made to step back but the floorboard creaked.

She quickly exited and went into her room, closing the door behind her. Was it Azriel? She didn't know why she was upset. But the thought of them together made her want to destroy everything in sight. 

She knew the Shadowsinger was fond of Elain. She studied the Night Court and every important person in it for months before coming here. 

Here. 

She had been so busy in stupid drama, she didn't continue to pursue the reason for her even being here. 

She needed the Shadowsinger dead for The Queen. Did she get word of her entrapment? Was she disappointed? Was Adustia worried for her? How would the meeting go tomorrow? 

The questions did not stop until sleep found her.

--------

They had walked for miles before reaching the arch. A wooden arch with golden leaves weaved through and around marked the entrance of the capital.

On their way there they found a lone traveller who was large enough in width to make up for Aidhen's sizing in clothes.

They began walking and more and more buildings came into view.

Cylindrical and rectangular cream stone buildings with brown and gold rooftops lay next to each other.

Detrei, a wealthier district where merchants and lords lived, surrounded them.

But they needed to be in the slums to not raise suspicion. Adustia kept her head down and her hood up. It would only take one nobleman to recognize her. 

Adustia was no stranger to doing what she wanted without thinking of the consequences. Being a princess always gave her protection. Shame coiled in her gut as she remembered the time she charmed her way into getting free pies for a week straight from a quaint little bakery.  A few weeks later, their business shut down. They had been losing more money than making it. She had felt bad but, the worst part was that she did nothing to fix it. To help those bakers.

"Near the slums, there's an outpost for royal guards. A few miles near it, there is a bridge connecting it to the docs. Ships of all sizes lay there for importing and exporting goods."

Aidhen clicked his tongue. 

"Why do you withhold information from me. Must we go through this again, princess?"

Adustia started to object but then she met his piercing gaze. His eyes cracked open her chest and left her vulnerable. 

"In order to cross the bridge, we need identification, legal papers proving ownership of our boat and a royal approval for leaving. But we cannot find those in the slums."

"So we must stay here for the night. What part will you play?" He said eyeing her.

"Nothing. You think highly of yourself so you will play the part of a fisherman. Unless you are too cowardly?" She said grinning, hoping he didn't see the bead of sweat on her forehead. He was too close. It didn't help that he towered over her so much.

"Very well." He said it with such arrogance that Adustia couldn't help the roll of her eyes.

-----

Adustia couldn't help the laugh that burst out. Her face hurt too much from grinning. 

"I'm glad you find this amusing, darling," Aidhen said grumpily. He wore overalls that were too short and tight with a ridiculous little hat. The sweater underneath was one of a womans'. 

The bars in the slums were filled with fishermen. But since there were not there yet, they resorted to anything they could find.

"Would you rather I take them off?" Aidhen said smiling. 

"Oh, my cauldron! You're blushing. You're embarrassed!" Adustia had to put her hand on the brick wall of the alley they hid in, to balance herself.

"I am not used to being laughed at." He softly snarled.

"I am not laughing at you. I'm laughing with you." Adustia clarified.

"Really?"

"No." She doubled over laughing, shutting her eyes to prevent tears. But quickly snapped out of it when the sun was blocked out by his large frame. He lowered his head and softly tilted her chin toward him. 

"What? I thought you were amused, Adustia." 

He never called her by her first name. 

They both realized it. 

She did not find this funny anymore.

Author's note:

hello!! I am so happy to those who kept reading! I have been so busy these past two months but I'm back and will continue! I have also read the new ACOSF book by Sara J. Maas!! I may sprinkle in some details from there in here. Thank you so much! You are loved always.

-Sof