Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

Normandy's brow tightened and his gaze seemed to focus on something in the distance. His expression turned solemn. "Until recently, my family and I lived in the neutral city of Feesa," he said.

Both Kelm and Maebus were very familiar with the city, particularly the tragedy it had become.

"I'm so sorry to hear that," Maebus said. He lowered his gaze towards the fire. "And you've lived out here in the Northern Lands ever since?"

Normandy rubbed his eyes. "I was preparing to rest for the night when I heard the commotion coming from the town. I spotted you from the woods. I knew exactly who you were ... enemies of the Warlord," he took another bite of meat before continuing. "I too am his enemy. For what he did to my home, to my people, to my family, I would watch him die a thousand times. For all eternity, I would make him feel the piercing grief he has caused me." Normandy's voice shook as he tightly wrung his hands together as if soothing them from pain.

Kelm understood that with the fall of Feesa having not been that long ago, the pain was still very fresh in Normandy's heart. To speak of it must have been to relive every agonizing moment of it.

"Look at me," Normandy continued. "Look at my hands and how strong they are; my tremendous height and physical stature." He thrust out his hands, flexing his fingers and clutching them into fists. "None of it was enough. I watched the walls crumbling around me and my family. I tried to protect them ... my wife ... my child. But I ... I couldn't save them. This scar on my face is a reminder of my failure."

He pointed to the deep laceration that ran from his temple to his chin. There was anguish and fury in his words. "I-It's still hard for me to talk about it. But ever since that day, the day I lost them, I've sworn vengeance against the Warlord. I've sworn that all he has, everything he commands, I shall destroy." His frown tightened and his right-eye twitched slightly from what Kelm could only assume was anger.

Kelm stood silently as Maebus placed a comforting hand on Normandy's shoulder. He knew that the pain that Normandy felt, even the guilt he carried for surviving, was similar to that which Maebus bore for losing the kingdom.

"I thank you, Normandy, for all that you did for us last night, for guiding us to safety, and not least for breakfast this morning," Maebus smiled. "Where will you be heading after this?"

"Nowhere in particular. I spend much of my time here in these woods."

"Then come with us," Maebus suggested, rising to his feet.

Normandy scratched his head. "Where are you going? I've heard rumors that Centre Pointe was conquered by Damian."

"And we intend to get it back!" Kelm said, stepping towards them. "We're heading to the Ancient Lands to speak with someone who can help us. We could really use the skills of a woodsman on a journey such as this."

The worry in Normandy's expression suddenly vanished. "Absolutely. I'll come with you. I'd do anything to stop the Warlord."

"Excellent," Maebus exclaimed, walking over, and patting him on the shoulder.

Kelm, too, beamed as he bent over to shake Normandy's hand.

"I know this area extremely well and can lead you through the Northern Lands," Normandy said. "Also, knowing the tenacity of the Legion, they'll likely continue their pursuit of you. I can help to cover our tracks."

"How soon can we leave?" Maebus asked.

"Immediately," Normandy replied. "But the journey to the Ancient Lands will be long and tedious. We're going to need supplies."

"Especially since we left everything behind last night," Kelm added. "Well ... everything except this." The Wizard reached down and grabbed Maebus' battle sword.

"I thought I'd lost this!" he exclaimed, his eyes wide.

"No, I know how important it is," Kelm stated. "It's really the only thing you have left to remember your father."

He handed Maebus the sword.

"I'm ready," Maebus said, sheathing it underneath his robe.

"Good," Normandy replied. "Further east of here, lying between the mountain range and the ancient boundary is a village. It's known as Cyperus Village and is home to a clan of nomadic warriors."

"Can we get supplies from them?" Maebus asked.

"Indeed. Granted, I must warn you. The inhabitants of Cyperus aren't used to visitors. But I know them to be a very civil and courteous people," he paused, smiling, "most of the time at least. Before we leave this camp, there are a few items I'll need to prepare."

"That's fine," Maebus said. As he tried to step forward, his wobbly leg suddenly gave out. He fell to the ground.

"Ouch," Kelm laughed, sprinting over to help him.

"Your leg appears to be hurt pretty badly," Normandy noticed.

"It was broken earlier, but Kelm was able to heal it somewhat before we got ambushed in town."

Kelm carefully stretched out the leg upon the ground and examined it. "You take care of what you need to do, Normandy. I'll work on this. The leg is mostly healed, so this shouldn't take long."   

--------------------------------------------

HELLO READERS!!! PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT REALMSIC

And... Please-Please-Please take just a moment review it on either Amazon, or Goodreads. This would be HUGELY helpful and the links are below! Thank you so much!!! :)

Review on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1kE7re0

Review on Goodreads: http://bit.ly/HOLreviewbook

The links can be copied and pasted from the Table of Contents page.