9- hotline bling

Magsimula sa umpisa

As I stood in front of the mirror, I bent down to wash my face only to feel my stomach muscles contract. I ended up coughing out what seemed like blood only of a darker color than usual.

What a time to be alive.

I crawled into my bed, my bones acting up all of a sudden. My vow doesn't seem to make sense to me anymore as I broke into a pang of sweat and a silent cry. My phone chimed and I picked it up wondering who it could be.

• I simply cannot wait for you to come back to Midland,
Mom's undivided attention on me is suffocating.

I wiped off the tears which blurred my eyesight to be able to type in a reply to Gianna's text.

why? You've been failing your classes?

• no, I've been going to the hospital for several examinations since she found out about my legs. Come back already

• I'll see if I can make it by the weekend. Keep me posted.

• okay bye, love you. I have to go.

I totally understood what Gianna meant by suffocating. Mom didn't know she was doing it, I was used to it already. If that was her way of showing that she absolutely cared about us, I didn't mind it. But on Gianna who's absolutely fine, I wondered if it had just become her coping mechanism. If it became the way she was still holding on to life.

With those thoughts, I fell into a gradual deep slumber.

By the time I woke up, it was time for my shift so I got ready and hastily drove to Wings Haven

I sat on my chair and rolled on it as I could only stare at the window. The diner was almost empty, it was an awfully slow day. And since I was waiting for a particular person to walk into the door, my eyes were glued to that spot.

I couldn't contain my excitement when Ezra walked into that door, keeping his duffel bag strapped to his shoulder. His wet hair made me rethink whether he truly was at the tennis court most evenings or he spent his evenings at the Underground bash.

He immediately walked over to my counter and took a stool to sit right in front of me. I couldn't help not notice the small random cuts on his face. I wasn't sure if he wanted me to know so I stopped myself from asking.

"Are you okay? I've been worried sick about you?" He asked me and something about that brought warmth to my heart.

"Really?"

"I thought you joined a secret society and didn't need me anymore," he asked, keeping his gaze on me as he tried to remove his bag over his head.

"I only joined for free food but they couldn't compete with your company," I tilted my head to study him. He laughed at my response and set his bag on the other chair.