thirteen

It's been a few days since Izuku was admitted into the hospital. His current case worker was along side Hajime, they were both standing outside of Izuku's room, watching as Hitoshi grabbed the cup of apple juice, his other hand lining up the straw to allow Izuku to drink. They were amazed with how fast he was recovering, it wasn't anything major, he still had his casts on and the bruises were starting to look worse, which is what they usually did before they got better; but his ribs were mending back quicker than the doctors expected. The doctors would call it a miracle, but Hajime felt that Izuku wouldn't be doing as good if he didn't have his supportive friends.  He had Hitoshi coming to visit him after school everyday, Shoto and Ochaco switched days to come and visit, mostly so they could study or help Izuku learn so he didn't get too far behind. Even when the kid was stuck in a bed, not knowing if he will truly live his life the same way ever again, he still begged his classmates to help him with his school work so he wouldn't get behind. 

"So, we were able to find his guardian. He should be here any minute now."

Hajime felt his throat go dry, within the short amount of time he's been with these kids, he loved them just as much as he loves Hitoshi, and the thought of Izuku being separated from everyone made him feel uneasy. 

"Does he live here?" Hajime asked, glancing over at Miriko. 

Miriko nodded, he phone started buzzing in her hand. She quickly swiped the screen, "Hello? Okay, I'm on my way to the entrance-- can you tell Izuku please?" She asked Hajime, mouthing a 'thank you' before speed walking to the hospital entrance. 

Hajime wanted to protest, but the woman was quick to leave. He took a deep breath, grabbing the door knob and letting himself in, he cleared his throat, "Hey, um, Izuku." he smiled at him, "Miriko was able to find your legal guardian, and they're on their way up now." 

"I have a legal guardian?" Izuku questioned, his eyebrows furrowing. Hajime couldn't tell if it was from his recent dose of medicine that was making him unable to think straight, or if he truly didn't know that he didn't have a legal guardian. It made him worry, he hoped to god this man wasn't picked by his father. He didn't want Izuku to go through the abuse again. 

"What does that mean?" Hitoshi asked, he had so many questions flooding his mind as his fathers words repeated in his mind. Does that mean Izuku is leaving? Will he ever be able to see him again? What if he's just like his father? 

"We will find out once he's in here." 

Everybody's eyes shot towards the door when they heard it start to slide open, Hajime's jaw dropped while Izuku and Hitoshi looked at him confused. 

"Toshinori?" Hajime questioned, "I haven't seen you in ages!"

"Well, it's kind of hard to when you're always traveling." The blond chuckled, he walked in, his jaw nearly fell to the floor once he seen Izuku. 

"Oh, hey kid," he voice went soft, "I haven't seen you since--"

"The funeral. Yeah, me either." Izuku's voice was cold, he remembered the last words he heard before he left his mothers funeral; I'm sorry kid. Everybody that day said they were sorry, everybody seen that his father was too drunk to even drive home, everybody knew Izuku wasn't safe, and they just allowed him to walk into Dangers way. 

"Izuku, I'm glad you're safe." He stated, "I'm sorry I didn't come to check up on you, I wish I could change what happened but all I can do now is help you heal and lead you in the right direction." Toshinori took a few more steps closer to Izuku, "Good thing is, I live near Hajime, so you and his son should be able to go to the same school still. I'm going to get whatever I can to get your room ready at my house to make you feel at home." He sat in the chair close to his bed, since Hitoshi was in fact on the bed and refused to move. "When you get discharged, and you feel up to it, I'll take you out to help decorate your room, we will get your psychical therapy appointments set before you even leave the hospital and I swear you will live the rest of your teenage years as you should; just please give me a chance to be your guardian." 

Izuku could feel his eyes start to water, he remembered all the memories he had with Toshinori when he was younger, playing super hero's with his parents joining in and of course, allowing Izuku to win. He still remembered the nickname Toshinori gave himself, and Izuku remembered his.   

"Okay, All-Might." 

Toshinori smiled as they continued to talk until Izuku fell asleep,  Hitoshi then decided that it was time for him to go home, even though it was the last thing he wanted to do. He expected his father to follow behind him, but decided not to so he could catch up with his old school mate. 

"I met his parents at a high school party, I was completely shitfaced and they helped me back to their flat cause I couldn't tell them my address. His mother was sweet, but his dad gave me a hard time the next morning. He was a very rude man to begin with." he sighed, "But I never thought he would do this. When Izuku was born he changed, he was a great father and gave Izuku everything he ever needed or wanted. I don't understand why he did this." 

Hajime sighed, he heard this so many times before; and he even found himself questioning it. But nobody will ever truly know what went on in Izuku's fathers mind, what made him snap, or what made a hatred grow so much that he would harm his own child. "If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? You said you were close to his school."

"Oh, yeah I live at (insert random address bc i cant think of any??)"

"Oh seriously?! Thats right at the corner of my street, I can't believe I've never seen you!" Hajime raised his hand for a high five, but then he coughed, realizing how weird it might have been to get excited. 

"You probably would see him if you were ever home," Doctor Ren stated, handing Toshinori a clear bag with Izuku's belongings. "I believe he's going to need different clothes, these are covered in blood and torn." Toshinori cringed as he took the bag, turning it to look, 

"Why did you hand me these?"

"Do you know what size he wears?" Ren asked, "There's gloves over there if you're afraid of a little blood, but I highly doubt a retired firefighter is afraid of a little blood." 

"y.. yeah." Toshinori stated, reaching his hand out for the gloves.