One

CHAPTER ONE
THE RULES OF SELINA
SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

"Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom," said the great Aristotle

"Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom," said the great Aristotle. Out of all the other philosophies produced by him, this one was truly the one that stuck with me. I had studied Aristotle ever since I was a child, I believed there was one incorrect word in this exact philosophy. Knowing yourself is the beginning of all fear—not wisdom.

If I was to pull out all the memories I suppressed so deeply, I would become swallowed by the ferociousness of my mind. I studied philosophy as a way to understand the reasons behind one's actions.

I began writing songs so I could express my feelings. In the entire 21 years of my life, I had 4 failed-taking stages and 1 unfortunate relationship. My last ex-boyfriend cheated on me, we were together for three years. As far as my parents are concerned, he died last November.

I had recorded 5 songs so far—This is Not About Us, Resurrection, Sucks to be You, and Not a Keeper. Currently, I was revising Recipe of Hate.

I'm at your mercy but tell me would you come if I rang your line? You picked me up to throw me against the wall, yet you're still on my mind.

I didn't know I was replaceable but here you are with your new valentine.

When you touched my skin, I knew you felt my heart rate. But us together is my Recipe for Hate.

Ever since you changed, we don't have fun these days. And this used to be our world but look what you've done.

When you stopped loving me, I believed it just was a phrase. I guess when the lights went out, it meant you're my Recipe of Hate.

I glanced down at my journal, running my hands through my brown hair. I was sitting in the kitchen, trying to finish my lyrics.

"Hey, dweeb. Dinner is ready," My 19-year-old brother, Lorenzo assured and I nodded, closing my journal. I made my way to the dining room where I spotted the rest of my family preparing for dinner.

As I looked at my parents, I tugged my lips into a smile. My mom was really pretty, she was where I got my button nose, lips, and cheekbones from. My dad gave me my dark hair, my tanned complexion, and the 'Get the entire fuck out of my face' attitude.

Most people overestimate love.

Save me that 'everyone will find their person' because it was bullshit. Love wasn't for everyone, some people weren't meant to be loved eternally by someone else. I believed I was one of them.