The Lizardman Part 3

Start from the beginning

Unartan: I know what you're wondering. Yes, I am an Arch Lich, a personal creation of Gecko Moria-sama. All Arch Liches are connected in the mind, a hive mind of sorts. Each major city or district has one Arch Lich assigned to them thus we can easily pass through important information, but that is not important right now. What is important right now is the state of your village, the agreement we signed upon, and the breach it will make.

Me: The Lizardmen of the Green claw tribe no longer care about the agreement! Please help us! With your military might...surely you could help us!

Unartan: True...in theory, however that is not where the problem lies. Where the problem lies is in the agreement we have signed. We have told you that the agreement is a 'non-aggression' pact but we both know that we don't really need that. The purpose of it at its' core is 'You don't disturb the Empire and we'll pretend you don't exist'. Am I correct?

Me: Yes, that was the agreement

I didn't like where this conversation was going. Just by his previous clause, this was not going in my favor. Will the Empire really just let us die out?

Unartan: That means if the Empire brings an Army to your swamp, we will be the ones breaching the agreement. Whether or not you care for it or not; this is an issue of formality and trust. Honoring the agreement that both of us has agreed to. I don't see the Empire dispatching an army to the swamp anytime soon I'm afraid.

Me: But...but you said your Empire welcomes everyone!! You can't let my people die!! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!! They are just like your citizens!!!

Unartan: That is exactly where the difference is. The Empire is obligated to save and protect their citizens at whatever cost but also keep the peace inside. On the other hand, we recognize the Lizardmen in the Lakes as a complete separate nation. Independent completely, not even as a vassal and sub nation like others have done in the past.

Me: ...what can I do?

Unartan: Things change if you recognize the Lizardmen tribe of Green Claw as part of the Arcanian Empire. Then the Empire is obligated to help you. As far as I can see, this is your only choice.

In front of me floated down a paper. It was a new contract, one that specified about handing over the Tribe's liberty and assimilating into the Empire. This was one that they fought so hard to keep...was it worth it?

For so long they have sacrificed their brothers, sisters, and even children to protect their swamp. Was this worth it or would they have to fight for their lives once again?

Unartan: In reality, things will not change much even after you sign it. Not many people will go looking for the swamp on their own will; however, we will develop the swamp area. For you and your people now that they will be considered full fledged citizens. I honestly think that your people are losing nothing but the name of Green Claw. Choose wisely chief.

...

...

Weighing the lives of our people against the freedom and swamp we have fought to protect for so long...

Me: I'm sorry, even as chief, I do not think that this is my decision to make. Generations of our ancestors died for our freedom. I do not feel that it is in my right to sacrifice all those who are with me today to their loss of freedom.

The Arch Lich, while looking disappointed did not look surprised, as if he had expected this answer. Instead, he simply sighed as he made the paper fly into the corner of the room where it was neatly stacked on top of a dusty pile of paper.

Unartan: Then I believe we have no more business here unfortunately. I wish you the best of luck with your troubles.

Me: Thank you

Unartan: Oh! and here is just a...good luck charm if you will.

He threw me a single piece of paper. Noting written on it or anything special. It looked totally ordinary.

Unartan: It is said that if you burn it, help will come your way...should the gods choose to provide you.

As I exited the massive gate of the government building of Katze, I looked around to see the Utopia this land really was. While it was still mainly dominated by humans, i could easily see all kinds of races roaming around the streets without a single worry of danger or discrimination. Goblins buying dried meat on a stall, haggling with an Orc merchant. An Ogre talking with a human adventurer as if he was his best friend...wait, since when did ogres have mental capability to talk like that?

Hell, there was even a wandering Lizardmen who was causally talking a stroll. Other than them, there were also elves, dwarves, and others.

...did I make the correct decision?

As I looked at the single blank piece of paper, I wondered if the Lizardmen must cut clean the old ways. Too many times it has risked our extinction...maybe it's better if we choose to live on a completely new slate with the Empire.

Well...I've already made my choice for today.

Me: Maybe...if we survive this time. A day in which Lizardmen and humans can walk together might come.

Even though I knew that I had possibly doomed my entire tribe to death, looking at the scenery around me, I felt just a sliver of hope. Damned hope too, as I knew how slim the possibility of surviving was.