Ch. 38 - Exploring

Start from the beginning

After Amy dropped you off back at your place, you were surprised to see that you had a visitor.

"Joon?"

"Hey!"

The man in question was currently leaving Yoongi's studio, shutting the door firmly behind him.

"You helping Yoongi?" you asked.

"Yeah," he replied, "he wanted some help with lyrics. Or...a sound board, really. He seems to have it under control."

"Good. Did you enjoy the party last night?"

He nodded. "Definitely. We had a great time."

"'We'?" you repeated.

"Uh...well, Sun and me, I guess." 

As soon as he said it, you remembered helping him into a cab with her the night before. They'd spent the night together? 

He suddenly cleared his throat. Anyway, I should probably head out."

"What? No! Stay and tell me about Sun."

"There's nothing to tell," he insisted. "Forget I said anything! I'll see you on Monday."

And with that, he was gone again. You figured he had the right to be secretive and put away the things you'd bought. After making sure that everything was put away properly, you went back downstairs.

Yoongi still hadn't come out of his studio, and it was getting close to dinnertime at this point. You figured that you'd interrupt him to see if he was hungry yet.

"Yoongi?"

You opened the door. He had his headphones on, bobbing his head along to a beat you could faintly hear. It sounded faster and more drum-heavy than what you'd heard previously. You tapped him on the shoulder.

"Hungry?" you asked as he pulled off one side of his headphones.

"No."

"You need to eat, so tell me what you want."

He sighed. "Just get some take-out or something. That's fine."

"Okay." You paused. "What are you working on?"

"Music."

"No, I meant...it sounds different than your other stuff."

"I'm trying something new with this track." He shifted in his seat. "Do...you want to hear it?"

"Okay."

He passed you a pair of headphones and changed a couple of settings. He pressed play.

It was definitely a different sound compared to his older songs.

Lots of drums, faster pace. Some parts had been recorded over with lyrics, but it was obviously still a rough outline.

Still....

"Is this because of that producer rejecting you?"

He nodded. "I decided to rebrand myself. I'm writing the music I want to write, no holding back anymore. If producers don't like it, that's not my problem. I'm still working on the lyrics, but--"

"I like it."

He smirked. "Thanks."

You ordered some takeout as he'd suggested. When that was on the way, you finally called your mom back to set the dinner date that you had promised. It turned out that your parents were going to be out of town for a couple of weeks in the new year, so they wanted to get together before then.

"Really? You've never done that before."

"Well, we always felt odd leaving you on your own, dear. Of course you don't live with us anymore, but it never seemed like a good time to leave in case something happened. The situation's obviously changed now."

You figured now would not be the appropriate time to tell your mother that you were in a car accident without their knowledge.

"I hope you have fun."

"It's still several weeks away, dear," she said with a small laugh. "And I'm sure the Mins will check up on you from time to time while we're gone."

"I'm sure they will," you replied evenly.

"Well, tell Yoongi we said hello and we'll see you next week for dinner, okay?"

"Okay. Bye, mom."

If that conversation was any indication, dinner was sure to be a fun time. You just hoped it'd go better than the last one.