Blue

It's early morning, and Drista is already out of the house.

She walks along the platform. The boards creak under her feet. Drista leans over and looks at the lake below, examining the fish.

All the sudden, Drista feels a tap on the shoulder.

"AH!" Drista screams. She jumps and turns around. Ghostbur is standing there, holding a bag of transparent items, which Drista can't identify.

"Sorry to startle you, Drista!" Ghostbur exclaims. "Just wanted to say good morning, and ask if you want some blue!"

"Some blue? What's blue?" Drista asks. Ghostbur smiles.

"Oh! Blue starts out as transparent, and then it slowly starts to turn blue as it sucks your sadness out! Want to try?"

"Sure..." Drista says. Ghostbur hands her some blue, and she holds it close. Suddenly, blue starts to come out of her hands, and fills up the transparent space. The whole entire object is blue, and Drista suddenly starts to feel more optimistic about living in the city.

"Woah... It really works!" Drista exclaims. "How in the world did you make this?"

"I don't really know, but it's great, right?" Ghostbur smiles and looks down at the blue in his hand.

"Do you use it often?" Drista asks. Ghostbur nods. "Very often, actually."

"Why exactly?" Drista asks again.

"Oh... well..." Ghostbur's smile goes away. He looks down at the blue in his hand. He puts it in his pocket, and takes out another transparent one. It immeditally fills up with blue again.

"I can't tell you. I'm sorry." Ghostbur says. His tone is flat. Drista continues to ask him, but he keeps refusing to tell her. Finally, she gives up and stops pressuring him about it.

"I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't have pressured you into telling me. But if you want to tell anyone, I'm here. I might be young, but I understand quite a bit."

"Thanks," Ghostbur says. "Maybe I'll tell you in the future. But enough about that, do you want to go get Dream and come to meet some people around here?"

"Sure! I'll get him now." Drista says. Wow, the blue sure does work.

Drista runs up the stairs and to the higher platform, and opens her door. But before she walks in, she looks back at Ghostbur, who keeps pulling out the transparent blue. It immeditally fills up the minute he touches it. His sad expression fades, and he forces a smile as he throws the pack of blue into a trashcan nearby.

Ghostbur looks up at Drista, and she turns away quickly and walks inside. Ghostbur sighs and sits down, waiting for Dream and Drista to come back out.

He grabs one more transparent piece of blue off the ground, and it fills up immeditally again. Ghostbur snarles and angrily throws it into the lake below, where he watches it sink to the bottom. He slumps over the railing, and looks over the horizon.

Maybe someday he won't be sad.

Author's note: This was a quick chapter, but I love Ghostbur's backstory. It's very sad, and I thought it would be a good idea to include it in this. Even though Drista is the main character, I feel like in future chapters Ghostbur and her are going to clash in some way, and just be connected somehow. I don't know what yet, but I have so much motivation for this and I am really excited to keep moving. Thanks for reading. :)