Chapter 16: Aftermath

Start from the beginning

   "See it's cooking perfectly fine," Oikawa says smugly while holding the pan. The boy was so proud of his cooking it was laughable. 

   Then dark smoke began to rise up from the pan. A spark flys and the pan lights on fire. 

   Oikawa looks at the pan and turns around. 

   "Ignore this."

   "No!"

   You get up from your seat and take the pan from his grasp. You place it in the sink and turn on the water. Once the fire is put out you look over at Oikawa. He was blushing out of embarrassment. 

   "Did you put the butter in the pan?" You ask. Oikawa's eyes widen. He forgot the butter. 

   "Shit," He mumbles. You giggle a little at his reaction. You had no idea how he survived for 17 years. 

   You sat Oikawa down at the table and cooked breakfast on your own. The whole time Oikawa stared at you. He just now realized what you were wearing. An oversized T-shirt and some volleyball spandex. His face turned a deep red. He tried to look away but he wasn't strong enough. You felt his eyes on you, but you don't mind him staring anymore. Actually, you feel a sense of comfort from his gaze. 

   Once you finished cooking you brought the food over to the table and placed it in front of Oikawa and yourself.      

   Both of you eat in silence. You enjoyed not having to eat breakfast alone and Oikawa enjoyed getting to be near you. No words needed to be said. 

   Once the two of you finished eating Oikawa took your dishes to the sink. 

   "Don't brake those," You say as the brown-haired boy goes to clean the dishes. 

   "I WON'T," Oikawa yells out. You could have sworn, you almost saw him drop a plate. 

~~~~

   That morning you and Oikawa walked to school together. You talked about volleyball and teased each other like normal. 

   During lunch you Ami spent some time catching up on the roof. 

   "So the guys lost to Shiritorizawa again huh?" Ami asked as she looked out to the field. You took a bite of your food and responded. 

   "Yeah. It was a rough game. They won in straight sets. 

   "You know, Oikawa is normally a lot more upset when he loses to Ushijima-san," Ami says mater-of-factly. 

   "Yeah? He was pretty upset yesterday," You state. Ami pauses for a moment then changes the subject. 

   "I heard from Hajime-kun that the third-year players are gonna stick around until Spring Inter-highs. What about you?" Ami asked. You hadn't really thought about it all that much. You don't even know what you want to do after you graduate. It would be a good idea to quit the club and focus on your studies, but you don't like the idea of leaving the boys. 

   "I know I should quit and focus on getting into a good college but, I want to stay with the team," You said to Ami. "I want to see them beat Shiritoizawa and go to nationals." Ami smiles at your statement. 

   "Or is there another reason you want to stay?" Aim asked with a mischievous smile. 

   "What do you mean by that?" 

   "Nevermind. Forget I said anything. You'll figure it out on your own someday," Ami says. This confuses you.   

   "Figure what out?"