Chapter 41, The Good Goodbye

Start from the beginning

"Itachi!"

I completely lost my balance from that jolt of surprise. Midway through my supposed collapse, my body had halted completely. The soles of my feet glued to the edge of one of the stair steps. My body was inclined in an obtuse angle on the step of the staircase. The only thing holding me in place being Hanabi's grip on my wrist while her other hand clutches the banister for support.

The howl of the wind that passed between us in this moment had resulted in a chill strewing across my body.

"You know, for being an elite Anbu member you sure do have your idiotic moments, Itachi", she chuckled, her grip only tightened on my wrist.

"Idiotic moments?...", I echoed back in response.

We'd stared into each other's eyes for a good minute before Shiro's bark snapped her attention. Her head jerked and she stared ahead of me.

"Is that a puppy?!", she blurted at no one in particular, making me flinch at her squeaky tone.

"Wait! Hanabi!", I managed to say when she suddenly let go of my hand and somersaulted in a way where she'd toppled over me in a flash.

"No no no no no..!"

My hand had hastened towards the iron banister, and once I gripped it, it was hard to let go. I managed to regain my composure all the while panting in and out. When I stood up perfectly on the staircase again I whipped my head and stared down at the end of the staircase, where Hanabi had embraced Shiro in a hug.

"Seriously?!", I complain, and take the flight of stairs down, "you honestly sold me out for the puppy?!", I pouted.

Engulfing Shiro in her arms, she batted her eye lashes towards me and said, "In my defense, it's not everyday you see something cute like a puppy".

And that statement alone was a direct slap to my face.

"You sure?", I mindlessly ask.

"What?"

"N-nothing..."

"Oh well, it was nice seeing you Itachi, I'm guessing things were well at the Uchiha district?".

"Y-yeah", I sigh, and stared at Shiro.

"Glad to hear that, now if you'll excuse me, I have a mission. Make sure to bear the good news to Shisui when he returns".

"Fine."

She shifted Shiro's weight in her left arm and inched closer to me.

"Chin up", she smiled, poking me lightly in the forehead, "I've seen the way you smile before, it suits you better".

My heart had instantly warmed at the last remark, but was I really surprised?

If she says it, she means it...

***

Saying goodbye to Hanabi was a bit unsettling. She told me that she had to go to the Hokage's office in order to receive further information about her mission. I parted her with a final goodbye, my heart a bit heavy.

Our latest encounter spiraled back and forth in my head. Never have I wanted to be a puppy so bad...

"In my defense, it's not everyday you see something cute like a puppy".

I sighed as I stared down at Shiro, who'd kept barking softly and dancing around me. From my peripheral vision, I noticed Izumi on the edge of the bridge.

This sight alone brought back childhood memories, the only difference being that now we're older. Our responsibilities have being weighing us down ever since we've come of age.

I made sure to pull up a smile on my face before going up to her and taking a seat beside her on the bridge.

"You're here..", Izumi looked at me with surprise.

I chuckled in return and asked, "you still got the dango?"

She grinned in return and pulled out the bag of dango.

"Did you greet her?", she suddenly asks, rendering me nervous.

"Yeah", I replied as flatly as possible.

She pulled out a stick of dango and handed it over to me. I muttered a quick thanks before taking it from her.

"Do you guys go missions together?", she suddenly asks, trying to get the conversation going.

"Yeah"

I dart my eyes to the rippling water of the lake. I took a bite from the dango and took a moment to appreciate the taste in my mouth.

"Itachi", my head tilts in Izumi's direction. Her face lowered down and her hands rested in her lap.

"What?", I inquired, feeling a bit anxious.

"You seem...alive...", she trailed off.

"What do you mean?", I scoffed nervously.

I'm pretty sure we both knew what that meant, but I just so happen to be the worst at playing dumb.

"Oh you know...", Izumi batted her eyelashes and pushed away her hair to one side, "ever since you and that blonde Namikaze-"

"Her name is Hanabi", I cut her off, "Hanabi Namikaze", I stress on every syllable.

"Right...", she sighs and looks at me in the eyes, "it seems like she has that kind of charisma that leans towards the lively part of you, you never thought you had..."

"What?", I lowered that dango stick, taking a moment to digest this information.

"That might be true", I confirmed, eyeing the rippling blue water of the lake, then gazing up at the blue sky.

Blue...

It seems like I'm bound to get reminded of Hanabi time and again.

____________________________________

A/N:- Do y'all like Izumi Uchiha? Leave a comment below and a vote if you liked the Hanabi and Itachi moment. Also do we have any ships?

Comment on which one you favor:

Hanabi X Itachi

Itachi X Izumi

Shisui X Hanabi

Serious question:-

Am I the only one who's envious of the chicken?