Chapter Eleven

Scene 1, Take 2

Chapter Eleven

Edward POV
Song: "Falling Slowly" by Marketa Irglová & Glen Hansard.
Quick heads up: this chapter will contain some lines from New Moon. Hope you don't mind.

This was all I'd been hoping for. Everything I ever wanted. A chance to talk to Bella. Tell her just how sorry I am, and how much I love her, always have and always will.

This was all I'd been hoping for. So why was I so on edge? Why couldn't I piece my thoughts together, and figure out what I wanted to say? Why was I freaking out?

I knew the general idea of what I wanted to convey. I wanted to show her just how sorry I was and how much I loved her. I wanted to show her how she was the only one for me, and how I would never make the same mistake twice. I just didn't know how.

I'd been to the address she requested we meet at. It was one of the very few pieces of information we had gathered about her during those few days that were now over a month ago.

I envisioned the empty clearing, trying to place us both there, and map out my actions.

I could get down on my knees and beg the moment I saw her. I was more than willing to, if that's what it would take. I would go to the ends of the earth to earn her forgiveness, and hopefully her love as well.

I could put my words into a poem, and talk in rhyme or rhythm. She'd always been a literature girl, maybe she'd connect to that side of me more.

Maybe I could bring an old CD player with me, along with the CD I'd made her for her eighteenth birthday, and hope that through my music she'd see just how much I was in love with her. That with every note she would be reminded of all of the thousands of times I'd told her that I loved her.
And hopefully, once the song I'd written for her came to an end, she would fully realize just how hopelessly devoted and committed I was to her.

("Hopelessly devoted to you" the Glee edition works great here!)

I ended up panicking just minutes before I had to leave, and stuffed the CD and the player into the pockets of my jeans. Just in case.

I drove there in my Volvo, not running because:
A. It was midday, and
B. The lot wasn't that far off into the forest, and humans might be in the way.

When I arrived, I saw her leaning against her Volkswagen Beetle, which was already shut off and parked at what was supposed to be the driveway to the house that wasn't built here.

The lonesome mailbox stood at the begging of the short pavement, and the rest was tall and unkept grass.

I parked my Volvo opposite to her car, and slid out in vampire speed. I was standing before her in a second.

"I hope I haven't kept you waiting too long" I said.
Something appeared on her face, but I couldn't quite place it. It was amused, yet sad. And hurt. Very vulnerable but in an odd way.

"Don't worry about it" she assured, and began walking slowly to the center of the clearing. I followed her, a few steps behind, thinking she might need her space.

Once she reached the center, she sat down, looked at me with a small and inviting grin, then lied back on the soft grass.

I took a tentative step forward, not sure if I was supposed to join her, and then decided that her smile was enough of a conformation.

I sat beside her, my head resting on my knees. A memory flashed across my mind; one where the roles where reversed, but the situation was much the same.