Chapter Sixteen

Scene 1, Take 2

Chapter Sixteen

Bella POV
Song: "Across the Universe" by Rufus Wainwright

Edward drove back from Forks even faster than usual. I didn't understand it. Had I done something wrong? Everything was so perfect just a few minutes before. I'd never been so happy.

Now, I watched nervously as he sped down the roads back home, never even looking at me. His eyes stayed glued to the road, which was very unnerving.

I let twenty minutes pass like this, until I finally gave up. I was slowly falling back into doubting myself, which is something I promised not to do. But I was just so confused.

"Are you okay?" I asked quietly. I expected him to lash out, or explain to me that what happened was wrong. I don't know why I did, because he looked just as blissful as I was.

His sharp expression immediately softened, and he finally looked at me. "I'm sorry" he apologized. Sorry? For what? Did he regret what happened?

"Sorry?" I asked. Something must have clicked in his mind because his eyes grew wide and apologetic.
"I just realized how that must have looked to you. I can't explain it, but trust me that nothing's wrong and you'll understand everything once we get home."

That was enough for me. I did trust him.

His face didn't go back into that stern look, and he kept one of my hands in his, the other on the steering wheel. He turned the radio on, and we both sang along to whatever song came. He would raise my hand to his lips and kiss it softly every now and then. The drive continued on much like this, and we got home faster than I imagined.

When I say home, I mean they're house. My house wasn't home. It was four walls, and contained my possessions. They're house, however, held my family. My love. My life. That was home.

Edward didn't even bother parking the car in their garage. He turned it off in front of the front door, then got out in a flash and opened the door for me. I wanted to ask what was so urgent, but I knew I would find out soon enough.

As we went inside, we were both immediately tackled in a tight hug from Alice. She was squealing, and the others who were standing behind her looked ecstatic as well.

"Wha-" I meant to ask, but Alice beat me to the punch. "I saw Edward telling us later! I'm so happy for you guys!" She beamed. It took me an embarrassingly long time to connect the dots and figure out what she was talking about.

"Oh" I said as realization struck. "Thanks" I said with a smile. I guess I hadn't had the time to fully comprehend the fact that Edward and I were together again. It would probably take me a while: I'd spent so long convincing my self it wasn't possible, after all.

Edward mumbled a thank you, and I couldn't help the stab of hurt that attacked my chest. Wasn't he excited? Was he taking this for granted? Did he want to stop? Was he unhappy? Did he regret everything?

"I'd like to talk to you all" he announced, then began walking towards the living room. For the first time since I came into their house and sat with them in the living room, everyone was coupled off.
Every couple took their normal seats, and I hesitated a bit, before seeing Edward open his arms for me, and then quickly snuggling up at his side.

I didn't miss the looks of warmth and acceptance we got from the family. Esme looked on the verge of tears.

"You all know we were in Forks" Edward stated. They all nodded, and an evil glint entered Emmett's eyes. Oh no, what was he planning?