Chapter Seventeen

Scene 1, Take 2

Chapter Seventeen

Edward POV
Song: "She" Elvis Costello

I parted with my siblings in the school lot, then entered Bella's car with her. I almost prepared myself to resist her enticing scent, before remembering that I didn't have to anymore.

If one thing was sure now, is that I could never, ever, harm Bella. I had nothing that pushed me to do so, and I definitely didn't want to.

Bella slid into the driver's seat, then started the car and began driving towards her home.

After about ten minutes of driving, I had to ask.
"How can you stand this thing?" I burst out. She laughed, probably expecting that I would hate it. It was practically crawling. If her house was as deep into the woods as ours, we would only get there by nightfall.

"I like it" she said. "It reminds me of the Chevy".
"Now that's just mean" I said. She looked at me with a questioning look.
"This thing is slow, but not as slow as that red monstrosity you used to drive. I don't miss that tortoise of a truck at all."

She just laughed and said, "it's not that far away. We should be there soon."
That was slightly comforting. I shut my mouth as I watched the trees pass by in slow motion.

The music on the radio was nice, and I tried to focus my attention on it, rather than the pace at which we were going.

(Songs I picture playing on the radio:
"Rocket Man" by Elton John
"Don't Dream it's Over" by Crowded House
"Every Breath You Take" by The Police
"With or Without You" by U2
"Sonnet" by The Verve
"Iris" by The Goo Goo Dolls)

After about twenty minutes of hyper fixating on the radio, a small house appeared between the trees.
I got out of the car as she reached for the key in the ignition, and quickly opened her door before she got the chance to do it herself.

One of the downfalls of Bella being a vampire– her sharp instincts. She could react to my actions at the same speed that I did them. If I tried to do something for her and she didn't want it, there was close to no chance of me succeeding.

But like before, Bella would just have to suck it up and get used to being treated properly. And that includes opening her door for her.

As she turned her car off, I examined her home. It was quite charming. More similar to a cabin or cottage in size. It was white, with a light wood paneling on the bottom half of the exterior.

It was just as far deep into the woods as our house, only ours was in the complete opposite direction.

The front door was a white wooden arched door, and I had to duck my head a bit in order to fit through.
The house itself was nice.

The living room was the largest space. A large cream sectional sofa in one corner, a large TV in front of it. The west wall was one huge bookshelf, filled to the top with books.

Next to the TV screen, was a wooden ladder that led to a loft. The ceiling was very short, and it contained nothing but a low queen sized bed.

I would be lying if I didn't admit that I hoped with all my heart that she didn't use the bed for the same reasons as my siblings, or any other vampires for that matter, did. I, myself, didn't own a bed, because it wasn't necessary for me. I had no use in one. I wondered what hers was.

Beside the living room, the first floor was also made of a tiny kitchen, a bathroom, and a large closet. I guessed Bella didn't really need more than this. Besides, small and charming was always more her taste than large and grandiose.