Chapter 10

Dan grabs my hand as we walk back into the lounge.  I can’t wipe off the stupid smile that has now been plastered across my face.  Dan kissed me!  Another Christmas song starts playing: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.  Dan walks in front of me, spinning me around to face him.  “Want to dance?” he asks, staring directly into my eyes.  I nod as his arms wrap around my waist.

I place my arms gently on his shoulders, barely touching his neck.  Dan flinches, blushing furiously.  “Are you alright?” I giggle.

“Yeah, I just can’t handle it when people touch my neck.”

“I’m sorry.” I smile as I move my hands to directly on top of his shoulders.  We start swaying to the slow song, and I stare at my feet to make sure I don’t step on him.  Suddenly, Dan lifts me off the ground, twirling me around in a tight circle.  I look up at him and our lips meet for a split second before I am back on the ground.  “What was that?” I laugh.

“I wanted to see those gorgeous eyes again.” I feel my cheeks go bright red again.

“I just don’t want to step on your feet.” I reply awkwardly.  “I’m not a good dancer.”

“Neither am I!” Dan laughs as he takes one hand off my waist and intertwines his fingers with mine.  He takes a step forward, and I try to follow.  “See?” he laughs, taking a step to the left.  This time, my foot lands directly on top of his.

“I’m sorry!  I told you I’m really bad at this.”

Dan doesn’t respond; instead, he simply lifts me up and places me on top of his feet.  I smile as Dan parades around, trying to keep time with the music.

“See? You can dance.”  I laugh as Dan whirls in a circle.  Dan just smirks as he rests his head on top of mine.

“You’re really short; did you know that?” He chuckles.

“Really?  Nope, it never crossed my mind.” I reply sarcastically.  He picks me up again so our eyes are on the same level.

“Much better.” He flashes his brilliant smile as we kiss again.  This time, his lips follow mine as I am put back on the ground.  I grin, as we break apart.  Dan dips me back slightly, placing a gentle kiss on my neck.

A tall figure appears, and I stand up as Dan greets the person.  “Hey, Phil!”

“Hey Dan!” the man smiles at him.  “This must be Penelope.” I blush as I shake Phil’s hand.

“Nice to meet you.” I smile.

Phil leans down so his face is right in front of mine.  God, I am really short.  “He won’t shut up about you, you know.” He whispers.

“Shut up!” Dan says, playfully punching Phil in the arm.  Phil just laughs, running away into the kitchen.

“That’s my flatmate, Phil.” Dan explains.  Phil rejoins us, this time munching on a gingersnap cookie.  “How long have you been here?”

“Oh, I just arrived.  I couldn’t wait to meet her.”

“Well, this is hardly the place to get to know someone.” Dan turns to me, smiling.  “Do you want to hang out with me and Phil tomorrow?”

“Or are you sick of Dan already?” Phil smirks. 

“I’d love to.” I reply, giggling.  For the rest of the night, we dance, sing, and talk.  Our conversations flow so easily, as though we’ve known each other all of our lives.  Phil turns out to be a total sweetheart, and I hope we become closer.  However, at midnight we decide to start heading back home.  Dan, Phil and I hail a taxi and ride back to our neighborhood, continuing our conversation from before.