Chapter 11

My eyes flutter open and the bright light from outside floods them, momentarily blinding me.  I sit up, trying to adjust to the sunlight as I look at the clock- 10:30 am.  I groan as I stand up and walk to the window to shut the curtains.  However, I notice that the whole of London is covered in white fluff.  The little crystals raining from the sky coat everything in site, clinging onto the trees and their branches.  The roads look like they have been cleared as there are large mounds of snow piled next to them, but it continued to fall and had left a thin sheet of it for cars to swirl various designs into.  I grin, remembering the intense amount of snowfall we get back home. 

After pulling on fuzzy socks to protect my feet from the frigid hardwood floor, I go to the lounge.  “Morning!” Jess greets me.  I mutter back a response- I’m really not a morning person like her.  How can she be so awake?  It may be because I was up late last night, but I need my coffee before I even attempt to form coherent sentences.  I make myself a strong cup, and while I wait I go to the bathroom.  After brushing my teeth, I can’t stop myself from checking on my stomach.  I pull up my shirt and immediately notice the red-purple shade that spots my porcelain skin- they’re turning into bruises.  I can’t help but smile as I walk back to the kitchen and retrieve my cup.  Just as I am about to pour myself a bowl of cereal, I read the calories listed on the back- 180 for one cup.  How much do I usually have?  I spill out my normal amount, and then grab a cup measure to find out.  I usually have over 350 calories in cereal alone? Normally, I add some milk, and eat a piece of toast with peanut butter or Nutella spread across it when I get hungry later.  I can’t have that many!  I need to change those commenter’s opinions about me- if they think I am ugly, I can wear makeup and if they think I am fat, I can easily lose a few pounds.  If I want any chance of getting this part, I need to make sure the audience will like me.  I pour my cereal back into the box and decide to just have coffee. 

“What are you doing today?” I ask her after I take a sip.

“I have school today.” She frowns, putting an empty bowl I assume was filled with her breakfast on the table in front of her.

“Fun!” I reply as she laughs.  “Did they explain what that assignment was about?” Jess had this killer project she needed to complete, and had no idea what topic to focus on for it.  After talking for a while, she checks the clock and we see that we’ve been chatting for an hour. 

“I’ve got to change!  I’ll see you later.” She smiles, running to her room to throw something on.  I walk to mine, choosing to wear my go-to black leggings, deciding to pair them with a nude V-neck sweater.  After rimming my eyes with black eyeliner, I swipe my eyelashes with a coat of mascara and put some chap stick on my lips.  I brush through my hair and pull on my brown boots.  Knowing it will be cold outside; I grab my black winter coat from the back of my closet and throw on a dark purple infinity scarf.  I pack my bag with my phone, keys, headphones, a hat and gloves in case I get colder once I get outside, and a pack of peppermint gum.  Suddenly, I hear a knock at the door and as I open it, I am greeted with Dan’s smiling face.

“Hey!” he says, trapping me in a quick hug.

“Hi!”  I reply, calling to Jess that I’ll be back later.  “Where’s Phil?”

“Downstairs.” He says as we walk into the elevator.  “He’s enjoying the snow a bit too much.”

“Really?” I laugh, putting on my jacket before we go into the frosty air.  I pull on my black knit hat Jess gave me when I first arrived.  We exit the building, and suddenly I am hit with a giant snowball.  I look around, and see Phil running over.

“Sorry Penelope!  That was meant for Dan.”

“That’s alright…” I reply, grabbing a handful of snow and placing it right on top of his head.

“I guess I deserved that.” Phil laughs as he shakes off the snowflakes that are clinging to his midnight black hair.  I feel my head go cold, and spin around to see Dan laughing with snow starting to melt off his warm hands.

“This means war!” I giggle as I grab another snowball and drop it on Dan. 

“That’s it!” he laughs, trying to form a snowball as Phil and I run away.  We charge towards the park, which is empty and untouched by anything else.  I feel something hit my back, and I find Dan sprinting towards me with more snow in his arms.  I quickly form a tight ball, pelting it at him.  Dan catches up to me, and opens his arms to let the snow drizzle on top of me.  Phil walks a bit closer to us, taking turns throwing snow at the both of us.  Dan and I look at each other, silently agreeing to team up.  We both make our ammo then fire at Phil. 

“That’s not fair!” Phil laughs, running towards us.

“Fine…” Dan grins, turning to me and throwing a snowball at me.

“Hey!” I chuckle, accidentally hitting him in the face with snow.  Dan jumps, tackling me to the ground.  Phil joins us, sitting up as he watches us hysterically laughing at each other.  “Why are you on the ground?” I ask him between giggles.

Without responding, both Dan and Phil fall back and start making snow angels.  I join them, waving my arms across the smooth, cold snow.  We all stand up, admiring our work.  I start shivering as I wrap my arms around myself.

“You look freezing.” Dan says, trapping me in a cozy hug.

“You’re lips are blue…” Phil adds, joining the hug.

“I’m alright.” I try to laugh, but my teeth start chattering so my words don’t sound exactly right.

“Let’s get you to some place warm.” We walk in our little huddle to the street.  Once we reach it, Phil suggests going back to their flat.  I nod as they both take one of my icy hands and swing my arms in opposite directions.  We walk through the front door, and Dan sprints inside.  Phil and I hang up our coats, take off our shoes, and he leads me into their lounge. 

Suddenly, I feel a warm, fuzzy blanket wrap around my shoulders.  “You need to defrost.” Dan says simply from behind me, placing a hand on my back and bringing me to the couch.  I blush as I sit, tightening my grip on the blanket.

“What would you like to do?” Phil asks sweetly.

“I’m up for anything.” I smile, looking around the room.  I notice their immense stash of DVDs, along with multiple video games.

“Do you like to watch a film?” Dan offers.  I nod, and Phil turns on the television.  On the screen, I see the little green cartoon complaining about Christmas- The Grinch: one of my favorite holiday movies.  I sit up and grin from ear to ear as the memories of watching this with Will, my older brother, on Christmas morning all flood into my head.  “Do you want to watch this?” Dan smiles, obviously sensing my excitement.

I nod enthusiastically, turning back to watch the movie.  Phil stands up, and before he walks into the kitchen he calls to us, “I’m making popcorn now.  Who wants something to drink?”

“Me!” Dan says.

“Hot chocolate for all?” Phil asks.

“You read my mind.” Dan responds.  “Is that alright with you, Penelope?”

“Who is their right mind would say no to hot chocolate?” I laugh.  “Do you need any help Phil?”

“Nope, I’m good.  It’ll be ready in a minute!” 

Dan and I go back to watching the movie.  Out of the corner of my eye, I notice him staring at me.  “Is there something on my face?” I ask.  Without responding, Dan pulls me closer to him, wrapping his arm around me.  I blush as I rest my head on his shoulder.

“Much better,” he laughs. 

Hey guys! Another chapter done :) I'm sorry it's so short; I was either going to cut it off here or have an extremely long chapter a bit later.  I have a question: would you rather have me update this fanfiction more often with shorter chapters, or the way it is now (now being long-ish chapters and about a week or so between updates.)  Please let me know! Stay amazing guys :)