Chapter 21

*Jess’s POV*

“How about a film?” I suggest, taking a quick look around at Dan and Phil’s flat.  I can’t believe I’m actually here.  I’ve seen it in videos so many times, but actually being here is unreal.  I may freak if I see either of their bedrooms.  How did Penelope get so lucky?  She just randomly happened to bump into the hottest guy in England?  I’m not the jealous type, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t envious of her relationship.  Dan seems so sweet, and he is obviously one of the cutest and most hilarious people on the face of the planet.  Phil is too, but I don’t feel the same when I watch his videos.  With Phil I get a bit happier, but with Dan I forget about my life for a bit and just laugh along with him. 

“That sounds great.  What would you like to watch?” Phil smiles at me.  We walk over to their massive collection and rifle through the options.  I pull out Donnie Darko, begging Phil silently if we could watch it.  He nods, waving it at Dan and Penelope to show them what I picked.  He puts it on, and we plop down on the couch close to the couple.  Dan’s arm is already wrapped around Penelope, her head leaning gently on his chest.  He’s combing through her loose hair with his fingers, twirling it around whilst whispering something into her ear and making her grin.  She turns up to look at him, planting a quick kiss on his lips before cuddling closer to his side.  A wave of pure jealousy surges through me, threatening to overcome me and rip them apart.  I keep my cool, and stare at Penelope and Dan longingly until the advertisements end and the film begins. 

Within the first ten minutes, Penelope is already scared.  Trust her to be frightened by Donnie Darko.  She’s wrapped tightly in a ball, hugging her knees to her chest as Dan rubs circles into her back.  “How is she afraid of this?” I mutter to myself, shaking my head.

“Frank’s pretty terrifying.” Phil grins, leaning a bit closer to me. 

“I suppose, but she scares so easily…” I smile back, trying to make friends.

“Oh I know,” he chuckles as we both outstretch our legs onto the table in front of us.

“Oh no, what did you watch with her?”

Paranormal Activity.”

“Good choice.” I say sarcastically, making Phil laugh.  He really does have an adorable laugh.  If I were smart, I’d fall for him.  He’s so sweet, and a great guy.  But I like Dan; I can feel it.  No.  You don’t like him.  He’s with Penelope- one of your best friends.  Snap out of it.  As the movie progresses, Phil’s arm ends up resting on my shoulder and my head on his chest.  I feel comfortable here, like we’re friends.  Nothing more.  Every time I peer over at Dan, his perfectly chocolate brown eyes are gazing at Penelope.  I catch them kissing quite a lot, distracting Pen from the ‘scary’ movie.  The end credits start to roll, and we all stand up and stretch out.

“Do you want to bake something?” Phil suggests.  “I don’t want you guys to leave yet.”

“I’d love to,” the rest of us reply in unison.  We assemble in the kitchen, taking about what we’re going to make. 

“Brownies?” I muse.

“Yeah!” Phil exclaims, nodding his head excitedly.

“I’ll go grab a recipe online.” Dan says.  He takes two steps down the hall, but then spins around and grabs Penelope’s hand.  “Care to join me?” he smirks at her, exposing those two little indents on his cheeks that make me melt.  Pen blushes, and he walks backwards to his room, looking into her eyes the entire time.  That should be me.  I should be with Dan.  No, Penelope is going out with him: one of your best friends.  Do not get jealous.  Phil and I wait in the kitchen, grabbing various ingredients we think we’d be able to use in our concoction.