Chapter 24

I look out the window, watching the now-falling rain trickle down the huge panes of glass and create intricate patterns.  I take a sip of my water, still not touching my burger much as I pick up one of the burned fries.  My head starts pounding, like it usually does when I am thinking too much.  I rifle through my bag, searching for a bottle of over-the-counter pain relievers I keep in there just in case.  To my luck, I find it and take one, letting my eyes slip shut as I throw my head back as it’s the only way I can swallow pills.  When they open, a car stops right in front of the restaurant, catching me by surprise.  A figure emerges, but I turn my focus back to my plate of food. 

I hear something tap against the window, and zap back to it; it is James, already sopping wet from the pouring rain.  “Penny Lane?” I hear him ask in a shocked tone.  He wipes off the glass and puts his face closer to it, trying to get a better view.

“Hey James Dean…” I reply, probably not loud enough for him to hear.  He walks to the front door, shaking his head violently and shooting water off in all directions like a wet dog. 

“What are you doing here?” he asks, sitting opposite me in the booth.  I push over my plate, inviting him to eat some of it.  Before I answer, he starts talking again.  “Are you alright?  You don’t look too good.”

“Thanks.  That’s exactly what every girl wants to hear.” I chuckle, trying to brush it off.  “Yeah, I’m fine.”  He keeps staring at me, looking me over for some sort of clue to the truth.  “Perfectly fine.  Don’t worry.”

“Nah…” he shakes his head.  “I don’t think I believe you.”  He calls over my waitress, handing her money and telling her to keep the change.  “You’re coming with me, missy.”

“Why do I feel like I’m in trouble?” I note as we stand up.

“You’re not.  However, I didn’t think you liked that burger too much, and I have hot Chinese in the car…” he tempts me.  I smile as I flip up my hood, grateful that this coat has one as we run outside and into his car.  He starts driving, and again tries to get me to tell him what’s wrong. Eventually he pulls into a driveway, and rushes out of the car to open the door for me.  “This is my flat.  We are eating food and watching a movie.  I’ve decided.”

“Alright.” I smile, grabbing the bag of food and following him through the front door.  This is easily the nicest house I’ve ever been to: not too big, not too small, perfectly decorated, modern yet still cozy.  He grabs my coat, and tells me to lie out the containers on the breakfast bar.  I look down and see that, just my luck, I didn’t wait long enough for my fresh cuts to stop bleeding.  Two wet red patches are there, staining my favorite white top.  There’s no way he’s missing this.  I start panicking again, and look around for a bathroom. 

“You okay?” he asks again like it’s the only question he knows how to say.  The corners of his mouth flick up into a grin, but immediately fall when he looks down at my arms.  “No…”

“I’ve got to go.  I’m sorry.  I’ll see you later.” I try escaping, running to his coatroom to grab my jacket.

“Stop.  No,” he stutters, blinking and watching me run.  “Please just, no.”

“Are you okay?” I ask, seeing the way he reacted. 

“No… You can’t… I didn’t… She…” he rambles on, not making any sense.  He sinks into the couch, and I take a spot near him with my arms cross to hide the stains.

“She who?”

“My sister.  She… uh… when she was 17- I was 12 at the time and didn’t know… she left that way.  I never understood why.  My parents originally told me that she went on a vacation because she was sad, so I’d wait for hours everyday wondering when she’d come home.  Eventually they told me the truth.  She was the best, and she didn’t realize it.  I can’t lose someone else like this.”  He tucks in his bottom lip, and I can tell he’s holding in tears, trying to stay strong.