Chapter 13

I wake up, turning my head to see what time it is: 2:15.  I groan knowing half of my day is gone because I didn’t get to sleep until 3:00 am last night.  After he dropped me off, Dan and I texted, making plans to see each other soon.  He invited me to his and Phil’s Christmas celebration, and of course I accepted.  I need to think of presents for them…

I roll out of bed, dragging myself into the lounge.  “Hey there, sleepy head!” Jess chirps.

“Hi.” I mutter back as I make my coffee.

“Merry Christmas!” she comes into the kitchen and traps me in a huge hug.  “How did you manage to sleep so late on Christmas morning?”

“I stayed up way too late.” I smile as we flop onto the sofa.  “But I need to call back home.  Give me a second?”

“Of course!  Tell everyone I say hi!” she goes back into the kitchen, probably to eat one of the sugar cookies she made last night.

I dial the home phone, and after a few rings my dad picks up.  “Hey!  Merry Christmas!”

“Penny!  Oh, merry Christmas darling!  How’s my little star?”

“I’m alright Dad,” I smile at my old nickname.  “How are you and Mom?”

“We’re good, just sad you couldn’t spend Christmas here!” he replies.  He calls over the entire family and puts me on speakerphone.

“Is that my little Nellie?” my granddad asks.

“Yes, it’s me!”

“Oh, dear, how are you?” my grandma asks.  I answer, and talk to them for a few minutes until I hear my aunt’s voice in the background.

“Is that our little movie star?” she chimes.

“Yes, Auntie it’s me!” I giggle.

“Well why aren’t you here?  We miss that pretty face of yours!”

“I’m in London, remember?”  I chat with her and a few of my cousins until my brother grabs the phone.

“Hey sis!” I can almost hear him smile through his words. 

“Hey Will!  Merry Christmas!”

“IS THAT WILL?” Jess screams, running over to the phone.  “Hi, Will!”

“Oh my God, Jessica?  How’ve you been?”

“I’m all right, and you?  Merry Christmas, by the way!” she smiles.  The two of them converse for a while, so I try to decide what to get Dan and Phil.  I know they love music, video games, and movies, but it’s Christmas Day!  No shops will be open. 

“May I please talk to my older brother?” I say, crossing my arms.  She reluctantly hands over the phone.  “Hey, Billy.” I grin, calling him by his old nickname.

“What are you doing for Christmas without us?”

“Spending time with friends.”

“You have those?” he laughs.

“I know; you’re as shocked as I am.” I giggle along with him.  We talk for a few more minutes until he is informed that lunch is being served.  “Right, it’s 11 for you.”

“Yes, it is.  I’m sorry we could talk for longer, but I’ll call soon, yeah?”

“Alright.” I smile.  I say a huge goodbye to everyone back home, and then hang up.

“Do you want something to eat?” Jess asks as she brings me my coffee in a huge mug I got when I visited Las Vegas.

“I’ll find something later.”  I lie.  “I’m not really hungry now.”