Chapter 5

I wake up and immediately spring out of bed.  After finally getting to sleep after Jess and my Disney sing-along marathon last night, all I could think about was seeing Dan.  I know that I’ve only known him for a day, but I’m already falling for him.  I skip to the kitchen and pour myself a bowl of cereal.  London doesn’t have Fruit Loops, so I have been forced to switch to Jess’s favorite: Shreddies.  It’s actually really good, so I’m not complaining.  I get a glass of orange juice and place my breakfast on the coffee table.  Jess hates when I eat on the sofa, but I don’t think she’s up yet.  I find something to watch on television and start to eat my cereal. 

Suddenly, I hear footsteps going down the hallway; Jess must be awake.  I turn, and see her wrapped in her comforter.  “What the hell are you doing up?” she asks sleepily.

“Why?  What time is it?”

“6:00 in the morning.  Go back to bed or turn the TV down!”

“Sorry!  I didn’t realize what time it was.  I’ll be quieter.”  I reply as she walks back to bed.

I return to my show, turning down the volume.  After all of my cereal is gone, I go to the bathroom as brush my teeth.  How is it 6:00?  I never wake up this early.  I look at my reflection, disgusted by the short pale blonde girl staring back at me.  The pink in my hair is almost completely drained out, so I plan to dye it something new today.  I walk to my room and check what time the nearest store opens: 7:00.  I have an hour to kill.  I decide to look through different hair dye ideas online, finally choosing to make it blue in some way.  I’m not sure exactly how: maybe ombré or dip dye.  I walk back into the kitchen and am greeted with Jess sitting on the couch.

“Why are you up?” I ask. 

“I couldn’t fall back asleep.”

“Sorry about that.  I’m going to the store later; do we need anything?”

“Candy,” she laughs.  “Or something sweet.”

“Okay!” I giggle as I walk back to my room.  I throw on my big burgundy sweater I got for Christmas last year, pairing it with tight black leggings.  I brush through my hair, returning it to its naturally pin straight look after being waved from sleeping in a bun.  The top looks terrible: very frizzy and puffy, so I conceal it underneath a black beanie.  I slip on my black boots and Jess’s black leather jacket and give myself a quick look in the mirror to make sure I am at least presentable.  My face looks terrible, as always, but I am too lazy to put on any makeup.  I grab some money for the hair dye and my phone before heading back to the kitchen.

“I’m off!  I’ll be back soon.” 

“Alright.”  Jess calls, still sleepy.  I plug in my headphones as I wait for the elevator and put on Caraphernelia by Pierce the Veil.  I walk to the store in silence, not stopping to talk to anyone.  Once I arrive at the store, I go directly to the hair dye, choosing two different hues: a vibrant turquoise and an electric blue.  I pay, making sure to buy Jess some Cadbury chocolate, and then quickly return home. 

“Back already?”  Jess asks as I walk through the door.  “That was quick.”

“Yup!  I’m dying my hair.  My blonde was showing through a bit too much.”

“Cool!  What color?”  Jess asks, standing up to examine my haul.

“Blue.  Not exactly sure how, but I got two different shades.”

“Nice!” she replies, grabbing the dye from the bag.  “One day you should do this to me.” 

“Why would you want to add any more colors to the rainbow you already have?” I joke.  Jess literally has eight different shades of brown in her hair.  Her natural color is a beautiful golden brown, but it is streaked with different shades of deep mahoganies and chocolate browns that are to die for.  Paired with her vibrant green eyes and lightly sun-kissed skin, she is so pretty.  It is terrible walking down the street with her because I know everyone is wondering why a loser like me is trailing after her.