Chapter 39: Bruises

*Dan's POV* 

"You're a bitch..." James snarled, getting up to obviously try and leave again.  He's pathetic, trying to run away from his problems like this and acting like he is just a victim in what's been happening.  As if he hasn't started everything.  I turn to Phil and we lock eyes, silently agreeing to follow him. 

We stand up off the couch and trail after him as I psych myself up for whatever is about to go down, reminding myself of everything he's done and every way he's upset Pen.  I curl my hands into fists as I watch James slip out the front door, walking just a little bit faster in hopes of losing us.  I speed up, not willing to let him off the hook that easy, and make it to the door quickly.

I peer my head outside and see James's form speed-walking away from us, probably to go to a busier road and hail a cab.  "WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM?" I scream into the street, stopping him in his tracks in terror.  "Why can't you face us?  Are you that much of a coward?"  I start walking towards him as he's still frozen, continuing my line of questioning.  "How can you pretend to be tough when you pull shit like this?"

"DAN!" I hear Phil call, spinning my head around for a second to see him running towards me.  I turn back to James and see that he's started walking away again, making me start to chase after him.  

Eventually Phil catches up, grabbing my fist when he does.  "Don't hurt him Dan, he's not even worth our time really.  Let's get back to the girls."

"And let him go? I don't fucking think so.  He's hurt Pen so much, why shouldn't we hurt him back?" My hands ball up into fists again as I start sprinting towards James, ready to throw the first punch at the back of his head, then I feel Phil grab my shirt and stop me.

"Dan, he's not worth it..." Phil says again, louder this time.

"Yeah Danny boy..." James turns and chuckles, mockingly. "Listen to your little friend.  I'm not worth it.  You couldn't even hurt me if you tried... remember what happened last time?"

"Do you ever shut up?" Phil retorts, shaking his head in disapproval of James's inability to stop talking.  "Honestly man, I'm trying to help you to not get that pretty-boy face of yours smashed.  You'd think that any intelligent human being would know to shut up?"

"Oh I'm sooooo sorry... what's your name again?" James scoffed. "I can never remember unimportant names."

With that, Phil threw his first real punch I've ever seen.  He manages to hit him in the center of his chest, , forcing him back a few steps.  "Woah, I didn't know you had that in you!" James almost laughs as he tried to hit Phil back in the jaw.  Instead, Phil blocks the shot with his arm, punching James again in the stomach this time as he did, making James double over to protect himself.  

"When will you learn to just shut up?" Phil repeats, the adrenaline clearly rushing through him.  I place my hand delicately on his shoulder, wanting to calm him but not get in his line of fire.  

"Phil..." I caution, "Take it down a notch."

"I am just so angry Dan; I would never do this! Just something about him really pisses me off."

"I know... I know.  Just breathe.  You're right, he's not worth our time." I reassure him as we start to walk back towards our flat.  

"So you give up that easy?" We hear James call, then spin around to find him getting ready for a second round with a blow to Phil's arm.  

"Seeing as you were curled up in pain, we chose to give you a break." I sneer, pushing him away from Phil and I by the shoulders.

"Also, you call that a punch?" Phil taunts. "My mum could hit harder than that."  

"Like yours were any better." 

"Again..." Phil starts, grabbing his shirt and yanking him closer to him, "when the FUCK will you learn to shut up?"

"Oh shit... baby here is using big-boy words," James mocks. "Danny boy, are you going to stand for this?"

That's when I completely lose it.

I can't listen to him anymore.  It was bad enough that James was acting like such a fucking coward, pretending to be so innocent even though he is the reason people are upset.  Now, he's making fun of my best friend, and I'm just standing here letting him.  He's turning me into the coward, the innocent bystander to the problem.  I know I need to stand up not only for Phil, but for Pen as well.

I throw out my arm and my fist connects with the bottom of his jaw, shooting his head upwards quickly.  I watch as he raises a hand to punch me somewhere, but before he can even curl up his fingers Phil grabs his arm and twists it back.  Before I'm even aware of what's going on, James uses his other hand to bash in the side of Phil's head.  His head follows the blow, sending him onto his knees.  Without wasting any time, he turns to me and jabs me in the gut, forcing me now to crumple over in pain.  I grab a hold of his shoulders as soon as I stand upright, and push him against the wall of the building we're next to, letting him hit his head hard on the concrete.  He smirks as he grabs my wrists and switches our positions, sending a shot of pure pain through my body as it makes contact with the building.  I try to escape, to flip us around like he did, but the pain zipping through my body is starting to me too much to bear.  I end up simply kneeing him in the groin, earning me a yelp.  He slams me against the wall again in return, only making the pain worse.

He lets go of me, probably recognizing that I can't really fight back at the moment, and turns his attention to Phil, who had just managed to stand up again.  James wastes no time in knocking him down again by kicking his leg in the perfect angle to send Phil tumbling down.  Once he hits the ground, James kicks him again multiple times as Phil goes into a fetal position. 

Eventually I get my bearings back and yank James away from Phil, throwing him to the ground instead.  Just as I prepare to deliver my last blow, James laughs and tells me, "rather than wasting time on me, you should check on that friend of yours."

I look over at Phil and see him still lying on the concrete and not moving.  I turn to focus on him as I hear James get up and start to run off, wanting to yell a few select words but too concerned about Phil to care.  

YAY FINALLY A NEW CHAPTER!!! I know a few of you liked my last fight scene, and I wanted to write another! It was weirdly therapeutic for me hahaha I know this is SUPER out of character for Phil, but he was mad! So today, I have two pieces of VERY EXCITING NEWS!!!  Firstly, I just uploaded my new story, snowflakes!  I would really appreciate it if you guys checked it out!  Also, there is now a Spanish version of BMJ! If you (or anyone you know) would benefit/prefer from that version, please check it out!  SECOND: I am holding my first writing contest!!! I will upload a detailed description on the rules and prizes, but basically: the 'challenge' is to write a scene from BMJ that isn't in here! It can be of anything you want, include any youtubers you want, totally up to you (as long as it fits with the Be My Juliet storyline).  It would mean the world to me if people entered, so please consider it! chapter title credit: BooksAreHumanMagic Please remember to vote/comment/follow me if you enjoyed this chapter and are looking forward to more in the future, and stay amazing guys xx