Chapter Twenty-eight

Avery stood in front of the mirror. She stumbled in shock, knocking off a toothbrush holder which smashed on the floor, but she didn't notice. She was trying to change her clothes when she caught sight of her reflection. She stood in only a pair of panties as her eyes roved over her reflection. She never wanted to see her appearance. She really didn't, but her eyes wouldn't move away.

She took in the stitches on her forehead and eyebrow, her right eye that was so swollen she could hardly discern what color it was. Blotches of black and blue stretched from the right side of her face, the other eye was only a little better, but it was extremely bloodshot.

For the life of her, she couldn't stop her gaze from travelling lower, even though she didn't want to see more. Large purple handprints wrapped around most of her neck, she could remember the intent behind it. He really wanted to kill her.

Her stomach lurched when she saw the hickeys and teeth marks on her neck, shoulders and collarbone. Bruises of all sizes and description littered her body. Her natural skin color was barely distinguishable. It looked as though someone threw paint at her body.

"Avery?" She turned her head and saw Oliver standing in the doorway. He looked between her and the mirror before sighing.

Before Avery could stop him from entering, she turned towards the toilet and emptied the contents of her stomach. Oliver held her hair back while rubbing light circles on her bruised back. She flushed the toilet and completely sunk to the floor.

"Don't touch me Oliver," she whispered harshly. His hands left her body.

"Ave-"

"Look at me!" she cried. "I'm dirty, disgusting, ugly!" The words that were etched into her mind and forced into her ears poured out. "I'm stupid and worthless! So weak! They were right! They were all right!"

The room went silent. Avery leaned her head on the wall as tears fell and she shut her eyes. Oliver stood with lips pressed and eyes ablaze.

There was shuffling and the clinking of porcelain. Her eyes flew open the moment she was lifted from the floor. "Oliver?"

With purposeful steps he walked to the bed and lowered her down where he hovered over her. "Avery, I never want to hear any of those words come out of your mouth." His fingers caressed the side of her face as he rested on his forearms. "You are without a doubt, the smartest, strongest and most beautiful woman I know." He stared directly into her teary, painfilled eyes. "You don't have to believe me now. One day you will. I know they broke you, but you have and will survive them."

He spoke with so much determination and honesty it left her speechless. No one had ever said such words to her, given her so much reassurance.

Oliver leaned in and placed a gentle, lingering kiss on her chapped lips. After a few seconds Avery kissed him back. It was pure and sweet only conveying his care and determination and her trust.

He pulled away and looked at her for moments. There wasn't anything but affection, understanding and care in his blue eyes. Not even an ounce of pity, unlike most others.

Oliver couldn't handle seeing her look at herself with so much self-hatred and disgust. It was heart wrenching and painful to witness someone he cared about being tormented so hard. Oliver was aware there was going to be a hard battle ahead when it came to Avery's opinion of herself.

She was so beautiful and kind, but she just couldn't see it. If anyone spent years with a group of people constantly telling them how worthless they were, they would begin to believe it.

When Oliver put her to bed to have a nap after a warm bath and some soup. He took his own shower and cried for just a moment. He was also tormenting himself.