Chapter Twenty-nine

Avery slipped her black heels on after fixing her skirt and blouse. She was going to work for Oliver, and she couldn't wait. A couple of weeks passed, her stiches were removed, and the bruises faded enough to be hidden under makeup and clothes. There were still shadows, but it was only noticeable if it was looked at closely. Her ribs were still sore and uncomfortable, though. Her nose was much better, the bruising lessened and she was lucky she didn't have to wear a cast for it. 

For the first time in weeks Avery tied her hair up in a ponytail and walked to where Oliver was waiting. They spent most of her recovery time together, when he wasn't working and meeting with Russell and Sam of course.

The constant care made her heart stutter as well as the respectful nature of his questions, like if she wanted him to stay the night with her or if she would rather sleep alone. More often than not they ended up in the same bed.

"Ready?" he asked and looked up. Oliver smirked as he looked her up and down. "My girl is back."

Avery blushed and smiled. Butterflies filled her stomach as he took her hand and gave it a soft squeeze.

"Clara will run through things with you," he said as they entered the lift. "Things probably run differently than what you're used to."

"I'm sure I'll adjust." Avery could imagine it being much, much easier than what she was used to. In fact, she was anticipating not being screamed at every other minute.

"Of course, you will. Besides, I'll be there." He smiled and winked. Oliver knew she didn't need his help, but he would still be there.

The doors opened to the lobby. They walked through the lobby and to the glass doors. The paparazzi and reporters were gathered around outside while the security held them off.

"I thought they lost interest," Avery murmured, holding his hand tighter.

"Me too."

When they were spotted the crowd went into a frenzy. The camera flashes were blinding and all that could be heard were voices competing with one another.

Their attention was directed toward Avery. She felt ridiculous, uncomfortable and completely caught off guard. No one saw her for a while and questions and rumors seemed to be going out of control. She was asked if she was sick or pregnant, or both, if Oliver and Avery broke up and got back together.

Then there was the topic of Leah.

She once again made claims about a relationship between her and Oliver. She painted herself to be a victim, hurt by Avery who got in the way of the relationship — as the other woman.

A rough, desperate hand grabbed her by her wrist as they walked through the chaos. Avery tried to pull out of his hold, but he wouldn't loosen his grip.

"Miss Adley! What do you have to say about Leah Adley's statements on your relationship? What about Mr Black?" He fired off questions while she still kept trying to get him to let go. "Is what she said about your suicide attempt true? That you did it for attention?"

Avery's eyes widened; all struggle forgotten. Oliver stepped forward and gripped the man's forearm in a bone crushing hold. The man winced and loosened his hold on her arm.

Tony, one of Oliver's bodyguards tried to usher Avery to the SUV, but she stopped and looked back Oliver who was glaring at the paparazzo.

"Oliver," she held his arm as her fingers trembled, "we have to go."

Oliver let go and wrapped an arm around her waist. "Get him away from here." Oliver growled at one of the guards. "Find out who he works for."

They climbed into the SUV. Oliver's arm was placed over her shoulders. "Are you okay?"