Chapter Fourteen

Once the food was taken away and the alcohol was well and truly flowing, the speeches commenced, and the auction started. Those who were dancing left the floor and returned to their seats to watch the expensive items come and go. The bidding started in the thousands and some made its way into the millions.

Paintings, jewelry, cars, planes, boats, holidays, properties all went up for auction. Oliver donated a penthouse apartment in one of his hotels his business ran on the side. The new owners would even have a chance to design the layout of the apartment. The bidding made it up to eight million dollars. Avery nearly choked at the figure.

She never saw this much money in one place before.

Leah asked Jeremiah to buy some jewelry and tried to convince him to buy her a small private jet. Almost everyone rolled their eyes at her requests. Erica made a few sarcastic remarks, but Leah didn't catch on.

Erica said her husband, who was unable to attend, donated a holiday to Bora Bora. He was a self-made millionaire and taught himself how to trade and work the stock market. He supported her dream, but Erica refused his backing and influence. She was trying to be as independent as possible.

"May I have this dance?" Avery looked up to see Russell with a faux posh expression, holding his hand out. Avery caught Oliver's eye just make sure he was fine with it, she did come with him after all, so it was basic etiquette. Oliver shrugged and nodded his head.

Russell pulled Avery to the dance floor to join the other swaying couples.

"You've lost more weight, Ave," Russell frowned, "don't let Mom pressure you into not eating, she's just being a bitch." He sighed. "I am so worried about you. Every time I see you, you look thinner and paler."

Avery swallowed the lump in her throat and her eyes became glassy. "I know Russell. I'm trying, everything is just happening all at once." She smiled up at him, hoping to be reassuring. "I'll be okay."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

The music stopped and Avery excused herself to get some air. She found the balcony and leaned on the railing. The cool night air chilled her skin, and she could smell the dampness from the rain.

A sigh of content eased the pressure in her chest before the hopelessness inevitably washed over her. She didn't know what to do. She felt as though she was fading away and crumbling at a steady pace. She was trapped and alone.

A warm hand on her back caused her to flinch. Turning her head, she breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'm going to put a bell on you."

A deep, velvety chuckle caressed her ears. "What are you doing out here?"

"I just felt a little suffocated, that's all." She smiled. "I've been to many events, but I just faded into the background until I was needed."

Oliver nodded in understanding. He leaned his back against the railing next to her.

"Come for dinner with me tomorrow night."

Avery pushed herself off the rail to face him. The demand made her want to chuckle, but she didn't have any problems with it. She somehow knew he wasn't going to force her to do anything she didn't want to, there would always be a paranoia of being hurt, but she was starting to trust him. Even with the small amount of interaction, his presence was just so... nice.

With furrowed brows, she bit her lip. "I'll have to check with Mr Adley." The silence that followed was uncomfortable. Avery looked to the ground in embarrassment. At twenty-four years old she had to ask her 'father' for permission to go out.