Chapter Eighteen

Sorry that I didn't update when I said I would, but... I'M SORRY! I love all you guys <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<3~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three Months Later

I thought the war would've been over by now. I was wrong. Things only got worse. In the last three months we have gathered all the warriors we could find and formed a sort of community. All of us have forgotten our differences, and now the witches, alchemists, keepers, moroi, and dhampir are united as one. Even though we've made progress in coming together, there are still fights- verbal and physical- that occur on a daily basis. And, it's really hard to deal with the fights when we're on the run 24/7.

At the moment, we're somewhere in North Dakota. The Strigoi are everywhere around the world, but our current location has had the least Strigoi sightings. We managed to find an abandoned house- more like a mansion- and we were able to give everyone somewhere to sleep. The residence was hidden in the woods, far from civilization where the Strigoi were. The humans and abandoned dhampirs and Moroi were being turned or eaten nonstop. There's nothing we can do but allow others into our group, hoping we can train them to fight. Of course, it's easier said than done. Most of the average humans we recruit aren't even in shape. And, those are the ones that die first. And, when I say die, I mean they are fed off of. The Strigoi are getting smarter and are only turning the ones that will make them stronger.

Along with worrying about Strigoi, we also have to worry about Lissa. She's almost at her due date. Christian and I try our best to comfort her, but she can't help but worry. Luckily, we have recruited a human doctor that took ten years of karate. He's pretty lethal.

"Rose," Dimitri called from down the hall. "Come here."

I ran down the hall to where me, Dimitri, Erik, and the twins are sleeping. Nothing looked wrong. No blood splatters on the baby blue walls or white recliner. Except, Dimitri was staring out the window. "What?" I took a step closer to him, looking out the window. Shit.

I could see Strigoi hiding in the woods, trying to protect themselves from the sun. Sundown is in three hours. I ran out of the room, hoping to catch Sydney before she left. She's due soon, too, and likes to take a walk to ease her mind before sundown. I ran up the stairs, taking two steps at a time. When I reached the top of the stairs, I heard arguing coming from Sydney's room. It was her and Adrian. I stopped at her door, hesitating to knock. I lifted my fist to the door, and Adrian opened it. I took a deep breath hating to ask Sydney to use her magic.

"Hey, Syd." I greeted. She was sitting on the bed, a single tear running down her face. Adrian left the room, and I went to go sit by her. "I heard you guys arguing. Is everything okay?"

She rested her head on my shoulder, letting silent tears flow. "I heard him on the phone..." she sucked in a deep breath, trying to calm herself. "He was telling Lissa that he was starting to question if it was a good idea to bring a child into this kind of world."

I stroked her hair, knowing I had to ask her soon. "It'll be okay... Um, I need you to use your magic."

She looked me straight in the eye. "Rose, you know I don't like to-"

"Look out your window, Sydney."

She sprung up, and headed towards the tinted window. I watched as her confused expression turned into one of terror. "You want me to put up a shield?" I nodded. "I'll need help. I'm going to get the others. Can you please go check on Adrian? I said things I shouldn't have..."

I nodded. "Go. I'll deal with it."

She ran out of the room holding her stomach, and I instantly worried about her well-being. I started to follow Sydney out of the room, but I saw her talking to a fellow witch of hers. Those people freak me out. I'm afraid of pissing them off then getting a curse put on my family. Yes, the Rose Hathaway-Belikov is afraid of pissing someone off. You try living with a clan of witches that threaten voodoo and crap like that! I often find myself keeping my children a good distance away from them.