Chapter Twelve

• Dedicated to All my fans who have followed this book this long <3

I placed my hand on my enormous stomach as I got out of the car. I looked up at the familiar building in front of me. So many memories... Dimitri opened the back door and got Erik out of his car seat. A silent tear escaped, and I hastily wiped it away. This is for the best, this is for the best, I kept repeating to myself. I don't want Erik to feel like I'm abandoning him, but I want him to be safe. There is no happy medium. I'd rather Erik hate me and be safe rather than love me and die.

Dimitri put an arm around me, squeezing me gently. "This is what's best for Erik, remember?" He always finds a way to soothe me.

I looked up at him, smiling. "Yeah, I remember. Look at this place." I shifted my attention to the academy. "It brings back so many memories. Most of them involving you and Lissa. And Sparky."

I looked at him, smiling. All the memories were flooding back to me now. Dimitri bringing Lissa and I back, Dimitri and I falling prey to the lust spell, the cabin, the first time he said he loved me... then having everything ripped away from me. I need to visit the cabin.

Dimitri looked down at me, a smile plastered across his face. "I'm guessing you want to go to the cabin, huh?"

I laughed, and nodded my head. I think I might have even blushed. "Come on." I started walking toward onto campus grounds, Dimitri in tow. "Alberta is still here, right?"

"Yes. She is going to be checking in on Erik everyday." He told me, becoming serious. "Are you ready?"

"Hopefully. You will try to keep me from crying, right?"

He wore a sad smile. "Of course, Roza."

I rolled my eyes, and took Erik off of him since we reached the front doors. Dimitri pushed the doors open, and I walked in. Nothing's changed, except for some of the carpets. That's a good thing though, because the last ones were looking kind of shaggy last time I saw them.

Alberta rounded the corner, smiling at us. "Rose! It's so nice to see you again. Is this the one I have to watch over?"

I laughed. "Yes. Good luck."

"Now, Rose, are you sure you want to leave him here?"

I sighed. "I'm not leaving him, Guardian Petrov. I'm protecting him."

She nodded her head, and took Erik off me. I asked not to see him off, becuase that would just put me at more risk of breaking down. I held back my tears, not wanting to look weak. She turned away, Erik crying for me. I think my heart just broke, and it took all the strength I had not to fall onto my knees just then. I could tell Dimitri was being the same way. He put his hand on my shoulder, trying to calm me down.

"Come on." he said. "Let's go to the cabin."

I nodded, needing somewhere to relax before I burst with tears. He took my hand, leading me outside, and along the building. The walk through the woods would've been relaxing if I could stop Erik's cries from replaying in my head. When we reached the cabin, I think I stopped breathing. Dimitri laughed at my reaction, and walked into the cabin, pushing me along.

Everything was the same. Except we hadn't made the bed. The covers were bunched up on the floor, and the pillows were strewn around the bed. I laughed, and sat on the edge of the bed. I groaned when I realized I couldn't sit down without Dimitri's assistance. He helped me sit down, and took the spot next to me. On the bedside table, something shining caught my eye. I picked it up, and laughed. It was a ring Mason had given me.

"I forgot I wore it that night. Oh God. Is that Ralf's blood on it?" I asked.

Dimitri took it off me, studying the dark red stain on the gold band. He smirked. "Well, it's definitely blood."