Chapter Sixteen

Her heart broke. She felt like she couldn't breathe. "They're doing the best they can-"

"Christian, she's here. With us. In my head. She can hear and see everything I do."

He looked me -her- in the eye. "Rose, hold on. I'm going to get Dimitri."

I pleaded for him not to through the bond, but Lissa told me, again, that my voice was hard to hear. Christian came back a few minutes later with Dimitri. "Roza, can you hear me?"

Lissa nodded. "I can barely hear her."

"Rose, the twins were born an are in critical care," I started screaming in Lissa's head, and she moved her hands to her forehead. "What's wrong?"

"Sh- she's screaming. I don't know why." She panted.

"Rose, you need to hold on. Please." I've never seen him so panicked and worried. "The twins need you, Roza. Krystal and Khatrina. They're very... Special. They have a bond, like you and Lissa. Except, it bonds the three of you. It's complicated. But, they are Spirit users. Just... Please come back to us. Please."

When I spoke in Lissa's head, Lissa heard me and repeated what I said: "I will."

I tried to go back to my own body, but I couldn't focus. The news of the twins were... So mind boggling. I managed to go back to my own body, but couldn't wake up. The darkness seemed to be increasing, but I refuse to let it win. It took all of my strength just to get back to my own body. I'm mentally exhausted. But, I kept trying to get back to my family. What felt like an eternity later, I pushed through the darkness and came to a hospital room where I could hear a heart rate monitor beep. I tried to get up, but I couldn't move my body. I was too tired. A nurse came in and leaned toward me.

"Rose, how are you feeling?"

"Like crap. Where's my husband?" My voice cracked a little, but it was nothing a drink of water can't fix. "Where's my husband? Where's Dimitri?"

"We usually only allow visitors after five days of partial recovery from the coma, but I guess we can allow it."

I nodded. "Thank you. Can you tell me how my daughters are?"

"They're fine, and were able to go home yesterday." Yesterday? I've been out a whole day?

"Yesterday? How long have I been out?"

"Almost two weeks."

I was dumbfounded. I've been out for almost two weeks?! I've missed two weeks of my daughters lives? I instantly felt bad for leaving them alone all this time. I don't want them to hate me this early. The nurse told me to get some sleep, then she would tell Dimitri to come. I wanted to see my babies. My Krystal and Khatrina. My Erik. Then, I felt jealous. Everyone has probably seen them... everyone except me. It was childish to find it unfair, but jealousy is what sparked up inside me. I wanted to punch something. I wanted to get out of this bed and start a fight. After I calmed myself down, I realized it was the darkness. It came rushing back to me, because I had been out of it. Now, it was going to consume me.

Dimitri helped me into the car, due to the fact that my legs are stiff and sore. I slid onto the familiar leather seats, and put my seatbelt on. Dimitri got behind the wheel and started the car, pulling out of the hospital parking lot. I leaned back into the seat, still a little tired. He took my hand in his, and I smiled.

"I can't wait to see them." I told him. "How are they?"

His face practically glowed. He looked like this after Erik was born, too. "They're fine. They have to take medicine everyday for the next five months, though. They ask for you, Rose."

I turned to him, shocked. "What do you mean 'they ask for me'?"

"I told you. They're Spirit users. They can communicate with Lissa through you, and she told us that they want to see you."

I pulled my hand away from him, and massaged my forehead. I was starting to get a headache. He wanted to comfort me, I could tell, but I didn't want to be comforted. I wanted to punch and kick something. The darkness will get to them, just like it does to Lissa. Dimitri saw my expression, and told me to calm down. How could he tell me that? Did he not understand that the darkness will haunt them forever? I will NOT lose my daughters to Spirit's lurking darkness. I've experienced this first hand, and I don't want them to experience it. What if they start hurting themselves like Lissa did? What if it drives them to drink and smoke, like Adrian. What of they want to become Strigoi- I had to dig my nails into my palms to prevent myself from thinking the worse. Dimitri saw what I was doing and pulled the car over.

"Roza, why are you doing this?" He asked me, taking my hands in his.

"I'm sorry. The darkness... It's making me lose it." I gritted my teeth together. "I can't lose them, Dimitri. I can't let them suffer."

"Rose, we have a plan. But, Lissa needs to explain it to you. Everything will be okay."

I nodded, and he pulled away from me once I calmed down. He got back on the road and continued driving home. My anger and depression faded into anticipation. I am finally going to see my babies. Khatrina and Krystal. When Dimitri pulled into the drive, I practically sprinted to the door. The soreness in my legs had subsided, thankfully. I opened the front door as soon as Dimitri got out of the car, and walked inside. My heart began to go into overdrive. I need to see my babies. Now. I shut the front door behind me, which alerted Erik. My gorgeous little boy came running out of his room and wrapped himself around my legs. I smiled and bent down, picking him up an lightly tossing him in the air. He laughed then squirmed in my arms, reaching for Dimitri. I walked around the corner, entering the massive living room. Just before the twins were born, we had moved into a larger residence on Court grounds in order to house the whole family. When I entered the living room, my attention was focused on what I saw on front of me. Lissa sat in front of Erik's old bouncer, writing things down on a notepad. As I got a closer look at the notepad, I saw Khatrina's name at the top of the paper... along with her "specialties." I started to read her "specialties," when Lissa turned around and threw herself at me. She had her arms wound tightly around my neck, as if I would disappear if she let me go.

"Rose, you have no clue how worried I was." She was close to tears.

I let out a tiny laugh, not mentioning that I did know how worried she was. In my periphery, I saw a tiny hand wiggling. Khatrina! I asked Lissa to step aside so that I could see my baby. She complied and stepped aside, revealing a stunning baby girl who was reaching toward me. Unlike Erik, this little girl had most of my features: my hair, my lips, my cheekbones; however, she had Dimitri's eyes and complexion. She was gorgeous. It took me a moment to come out of my frozen state, but when I did, I bent down to her level and lightly rocked her. I was about to ask someone if I could hold her, then remembered that she's mine. I cradled her in my arms, making sure to support her head. Dimitri strolled over to us with Erik trailing behind him. Dimitri brought me into a semi-embrace, causing Erik to wrap himself around my legs again. I laughed and leaned my head against Dimitri's shoulder. That was when I remembered not everyone was participating in this family moment.

I looked up at Lissa. "Where's Krystal?"

She smiled. "Sleeping."

I went to Krystal's room, and saw her sleeping in her bassinet. There was a lullaby playing above her, coming from some attachment Dimitri must've spent fifty dollars on. I couldn't see her eyes, but I knew that she would have Dimitri's eyes. Her and Khatrina were definitely identical. I cannot believe that these two beautiful little girls are mine. One happy family. Like we were always meant to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~<3~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

There are only three chapters left of this book! Make sure to vote and comment if you want to guarantee you'll see the third book. I love your comments, so please please please tell me how my story is. Again, I appreciate criticism!

~<3 cullentwilightfan