Chapter Five

She hugged Adrian. At first, I thought she was going to punch him, but her body language said otherwise. I stood against the wall, watching Adrian live out his awkward moment. He patted her back as she thanked him. Sydney looked as confused as I was. When Carly pulled back, she was smiling.

"Carly, are you okay?" Sydney asked

She nodded. "I'm just so proud of you. Between putting Keith in a re-education center, disobeying dad's strict orders, dealing with all the Alchemist crap, taking care of that poor teenage Moroi, and letting your heart guide you... I couldn't be more proud of my little sister. But, I don't think dad will have the same reaction as me. Wait. Where's Zoe? I thought you were bringing her with you"

Zoe? Her little sister Zoe? I thought she was back home. Apparently, Sydney did too. "What are you talking about? She's at home... I haven't seen her since... since I left"

"Oh. Maybe that could be your next mission"

"I wish, but I think kidnapping our little sister would lead to more problems" they both laughed

They sat down and talked, while I remained standing against the wall. I didn't listen to their conversation. Instead, I tried planning out the near future. This pregnancy should have the same problems. Sickness, everyone being over-protective, and possible death. Not to mention that I grow irate when I'm inactive. I won't be able to protect Lissa for a while, which will annoy me, especially with the major threats of Strigoi.

My stupid ringtone interrupted my thoughts, but when I saw it was Dimitri, I relaxed. Sort of. "Hello?"

"Hi, Roza. Is everything going okay?"

"Yep. Everything's good. I'm going to have to drag them out soon. I'm hungry"

He laughed, and I felt a smile spread across my face. I tuned out of what Dimitri was saying, when I heard someone say my name. It was Sydney. Her sister had asked who I was talking to, and Sydney knew who it was by my tone.

Carly looked shocked. "I thought she was a guardian"

I turned to Carly. "I am. I'm married and have a kid, and I guard the queen. Is that a problem?" Dimitri was telling me to be nice through the phone, but I ignored him. Carly kept speaking, but all of it was offending. I returned to talking to Dimitri, tired of talking to her. "Dimi, we'll be leaving soon. Give Erik a kiss for me"

                                                                         *******

When we got back to the hotel, I discovered a crying Erik. As soon as I stepped through the door, I saw a heart-warming sight. Dimitri was standing in the kitchen, cradling Erik and trying to get him to stop crying. Being his mother, I knew what he wanted. His pacifier. I've noticed that he sucks on his bottom lip when he wants his pacifier. I, silently, walked over to Erik's diaper bag, and pulled out his pacifier. I'm surprised Dimitri didn't think of this. I went to stand by Dimitri, and handed him the pacifier.

"Here you go, mommy" I joked

He leaned down and kissed my forehead. I hoisted myself up onto the kitchen counter, so that I could be face-to-face with my little boy. I kissed his forehead as Dimitri gave him his pacifier. Erik reached out for it, and said his first word.

"Dada" he said in his cute little baby voice

I, surprisingly, felt a pang of jealousy at the fact that he said "Dada" first. But, at least he's talking. I'm not sure what the normal age is for children to start speaking, but Andre said his first word a month or two ago. Either way, I smiled and congratulated Dimitri. It's been a while since I've seen him so happy. And, boy was he happy now. Ecstatic, even.