Part Twenty-Two

Mason was in book one and was the girl Ashton drew a buterfly on. !0 points to the two people that got that.

Ashton’s Pov 

It was Saturday Morning. Minnie had been released from the hospital the night before. It was just the two of us in the large house, Destiny having taken Ashley to her weekly soccer game and brought Andy along with them.

It was quiet, a rare sound, or lack thereof in the large house. I could hear Minnie’s air tank humming quietly through the baby monitor on the table infront of me. The birds were chirping outside and somewhere a clock was ticking but other than that it was silent.

Running my fingertips through my hair I raised my coffee mug to my mouth and took a small sip. As the dark liquid churned my stomach I set the cup back down and sighing rose to my feet. 

Abandoning my mug at the scattered pile of People, Us and various other Star magazines with Minnie’s face splashed across their covers, I left the bright kitchen and rounding the stairs trudged up the stairs to her room.

After taking a moment to make sure I wasn’t about to burst into tears and freak her out, I pushed the door open slowly and walked inside. Looking to Minnie’s bed I found her curled up with Ashley’s kitten Jigglypuff.

Smiling I sat down on the bed beside her and slowly reaching out a hand ran my fingertips through her curly hair gently until her eyes fluttered open.  Filled with confusion, they looked around the room tiredly before landing on me and brightening considerably.

“Hey Daddy!” she greeted.

“Hey Minnie Mouse.” I chuckled, “How you feeling?”

“My chest is still cold.” She informed me.

“I know sweetie.” I sighed, “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry.” She giggled, “Sitting up it’s not your fault.”

Forcing a smile I opened my arms as she crawled into them and on to my lap.

“Where’s Ashley?” she questioned, realizing for the first time that her sister was absent.

“Soccer.” I replied, “With Mommy and Andy.”

“So it’s just us?” she asked.

“Yeah.” I answered, “What do you want to do today. You name it, we’ll do it.”

“Anything?” she gasped.

“Anything.” I chuckled, “We can stay home and play Barbies, we can go out, we can g…..”

“I want to go to American girl.” She blurted out, “Can we go there please! Mommy took me and Ashley in there to look and she said we can’t get one because we’re too little but I like to look!”

Smiling I nodded, “American girl it is.”

~One Hour Later~

“If you love me come on get involved

Feel it rushing through you from your head to toe”

“Oh-Oh-Oh-Ooh-Oh.”

“Oh-Oh-Oh-Ooh-Oh”

“Sing!”

Looking in the rearview mirror I watched as Luke and Minnie who were sitting in the backseat loudly  belted out the ohs in Sing.

“Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh!”

Muttering under his breath about how it was too early for karaoke car sessions, Calum pulled his beanie further down on his head and took a long sip from the coffee he had made me buy him.