Part Sixty-Four

FLASHBACK

"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to...."

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU ASS!"

Looking stunned, Jared stopped mid couch bounce and looked down to where I was sat on the floor, the pale dress I'd picked out for the occasion pulling on the stained carpet around me in a puddle.

Feeling tears rolling down my cheeks undoubtedly smudging the mascara and eyeliner I'd painstakingly applied earlier that morning with the help of several YouTube tutorials, I reached up and wipes my eyes. Looking down at my fingers which came away black with makeup, a hysterical laugh escaped my lips.

"Are you... Are you laughing or crying?" Jared whispered.

Crying and laughing harder I shrugged, "I'm laughing, I'm crying, it feels like I'm dying!"

"Ju...Jess..." he said carefully.

"Did my invitations disappear?" I questioned.

"Jes.."

"I put my heart on every cursive letter..."

"Jess...."

"Tell me, why is no one here?"

"I-I don't know."

"Maybe it's a cruel joke on me, whatever...you know. What-fucking ever. I don't give a fuck."

"Jess..."

"I mean, more cake for me right?"

Rising to my feet I crossed over to the cake I'd baked that morning and raising my fist, punched it. Letting out a scream I began pummeling the thing.

"Jess!" Jared cried, "Stop it! I-I get that this....this meant a lot to you but...."

"This meant a lot to me?" I spat, "This isn't some rich bitches quinceanera! This wasn't a stupid little birthday party or a, 'my parents are out of town blow out!' This was it! This was my coming out party.... I-I'm wearing a dress! A stupid, stupid dress!"

Standing up I crossed over to Mom's sewing table in the corner and picking up a pair of scissors began hacking at the fabric while Jared watched in silent horror.

"No one?" I shouted, "Not anyone? Grandma couldn't march her old decrepit ass from bingo? Or Beth Anne! That fat bitch never gets invited anywhere? She should be honored I even asked her! And Johhny! HE TOLD ME HE'D BE HERE!"

"Jess...." Jared said, nervously licking his lips as he slowly made his way towards me, "Just...calm down, okay....maybe...maybe you put down the wrong date on the invitations on accident...or....or maybe they went to the wrong address, your sevens do look like ones...just....please, put the scissors down."

Frowning, I looked down at the sharp metal blades clutched in my fist.

"Jessica." Jared warned.

Wiping my eyes with my other hand, I raised the scissors over my head.

"JESS!" Jared screamed, seeming genuinely terrified.

Turning my back on him, I began stabbing balloons, filling the air with a sound like gunfire.

"I hope my candles burn this shithole to the ground!" I shouted, popping balloon after balloon.

Picking up a balloon animal Jared had made earlier on, I bit it, popping it loudly.

"What the fuck is going on down here?"

Startled I looked up to find Gerard standing in the doorway, swaying slightly, his eyes red, his face unshaved and his shirt stained with what could only be vomit.