Part Forty-Five

“You have Uncle Cal’s Barbie. That’s cool. I have all of them, I have Michael and Luke, and Daddy and Harry and Louis and Zayn and Liam and Niall and I have an Aunt Perrie Barbie.”

Sitting on the floor, Cooper watched Ashley rattle on about her doll collection while he held his own close to his chest. Looking on from the kitchen where I was making the two lunch I sighed.

“What’s wrong?” Luke questioned, trying to cut an able with a butter knife.

“I just never thought Calum of all people would have a kid.” I replied, “I kind of thought he’d just be the cool uncle guy forever.”

“Me too.” Luke admitted, hissing as he nicked his finger.

Frowning I turned to look back at the two kids. Cooper and Ashley had spent the morning together while Calum went to try and see if he could track down his Mother.

“What do you think happened?” Luke questioned.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“To his ears.” Luke pressed.

“Judging on how good he is at signing and how young he is I’d assume he was born that way.” I replied.

“It’s sad.” Luke mumbled, “He can’t hear music.”

Sighing I nodded and looked down at the sandwich I was de-crusting when the door swung open and a bed headed Michael shuffled in.

“Morning.” He acknowledged, huskily.

“Michael guess what!” Luke cried.

“You finally grew a brain cell.” Michael yawned.

“No!” Luke gushed, “Calum has a son!”

“What?” Michael demanded, instantly looking more awake.

Raising the knife in my hand I pointed in the direction of where the two kids were sat.

“Oh my God.” Michael breathed, “Is that him?”

“Yeah!” Luke breathed, “And guess what else?”

“I have no idea.” Michael admitted.

“He’s deaf.” Luke whispered, as if the kid could hear him.

“He is?” Michael questioned, direction the question at me.

“I think so.” I sighed, “I’ve tried calling him and there’s nothing, no acknowledgment, not even a flinch.”

“That’s like, so sad.” Michael muttered.

“He talks with his hands.” Luke announced, “It’s cool but we don’t know what he’s saying. Ashton tried to google it, but we couldn’t figure it out.

“I know sign language.” Michael said, sitting down  at the table beside Luke.

“You do?” I demanded, “Since when?”

“My cousin is mute.” He replied with a shrug, “She came to the wedding, didn’t say much…obviously.”

“If you know sign language you have to go talk to him!” Luke cried.

“There are different kinds of sign language Luke.” I said slowly.

“I know ASL.” Michael replied, “It’s the most common.”

“ASL?” Luke questioned, “Is that that thing you say on Omegle and you’re like ASL and it means something like where are you, are you a boy or a girl and how old are yo….”