Part Two

“Daddy guess what?”

“Hmm?”

“I have a joke.”

“Ashes, Daddy is bus….”

“Please, just quick. Okay?”

Sighing, I looked up Minnie’s hair which I was attempting to tie back into a braid.

“Fine.” I said, forcing a smile, “Let’s hear it.”

“Okay.” Ashley said excitedly, brushing her out of control curls from her face, “What did the monkey say to the giraffe?”

“I don’t know.” I replied, even though I did since she told the joke at every meal, at bath time and before bed each night.

“Why the long nose!” Ashley laughed flapping around the sleeves of the Sex Pistols hoodie Michael had gotten her.

“Oh, good one.” I laughed, sliding an elastic on the end of Minnie’s braid.

“Daddy it’s crooked.” She informed me, reaching back to feel her hair.

“It’s fine.” I sighed adjusting the canula she’d been wearing since her third birthday, two years ago exactly since today she was turning five.

“Daddy.” Ashley whined.

“Yes.” I replied, mimicking her tone of voice.

“When is Uncle Luke gonna get here?” she sighed, climbing onto the bed beside me and jumping.

“When he gets here.” I replied.

“When’s that?”

“Ashley.” I warned.

“Daddy.” She replied, climbing onto my shoulders.

“You’re being a pain in the butt.” I informed her.

Laughing she leapt off the bed, landing on her knees, however popped up unscathed.

“What the heck was that?” Destiny shouted from downstairs.

“Daddy died!” Ashely shouted back.

“Ashton?” Destiny called out.

“I’m fine!” I replied,  throwing Ashley over my shoulder, “I just have something to throw down the stairs to you.”

“What?” Ashley asked.

“You!” I cried, running down the hall to the banister.

“NO!” Ashley screamed, “Mommy! Daddy no!”

“Ashton put her down.” Destiny laughed.

“Okay.” I laughed, tossing her up near the railing and catching her again.

“Daddy please!” Ashley screamed.

Laughing I set her down and frowning, she punched me in the thigh.

“Ashley what have I said about the hitting?” I demanded.

“You’re a poop head.” She spat before running down the stairs before I could catch her.

“That’s not very nice.” I called after her.

Shaking my head I looked down to where Minnie was standing next to me, clutching the handle to her air tank which she dragged around behind her like some miniature version of Hazel Grace.

“You wanna go downstairs?” I questioned, crouching down to her level.

Nodding, she smoothed out her skirt.