Part Eighty-Nine

"I told her that I loved her, just not sure if she heard. The roof was pretty windy and she didn't say a word. Party died downstairs, had nothing left to do, just me, here and the moon. She said her time was over, knew she meant forever. Twenty minutes later wound up in the hospital...."

Trailing off Michael looked down at the cold, limp hand held in his warm one. Reaching out the fingertips of his other hand, he gently traced her eyelids where her eyelashes had fallen out long ago with her hair and eyebrows. Sniffing he traced over his lips before leaning forward and kissing the corner of her mouth softly one last time.

"I'm sorry Michael." I whispered.

"They say she's got twenty-four hours." He mumbled looking down at the ghostly skeleton who'd just a few weeks prior had been the love of his life.

Sniffing, he looked down at Jess and let out a pitiful excuse for a laugh, "You and me, we've got a whole lot of history." He said softly, stroking her cheek, "We're the greatest team that the world has ever seen. You and me we... we've got a whole lot of history do don't let go, we can make some more. Remember... God. Minibars, expensive cars, hotel rooms and new tattoos. The good champagne and private plans, but they don't mean anything. Because the truth is, I realize that without you here life is just a lie. This is not the end. We can make it. You can make it."

Wiping her eyes on her sleeve, Destiny buried her face in my chest.

"Michael." She whimpered, "She's gone. Her body is there but she's.... she's... Mikey she's gone. You've been here since last night, let's go back to the hotel you can shower, take a nap, and collect yourself."

"I'm fine."

"She's still here." He argued, "She's in there. You're in there right baby. I know it right?"

"Michael." I whispered.

Sitting on the bed beside her, he grabbed her shoulders and shook them gently, "Is anyone there at all? Cause I'm not leaving. Is anyone there? Is anyone there at all? Come on, look into my eyes, just one more time. Your eyes, your smile can light up the night. Just one more time Jess... Please.... Ple..."

"Michael stop it!" Destiny snapped, "Let go of her before you hurt her!"

"She's drugged the fuck out! She's drooling like a baby she could get cracked in the face with a baseball bat and it wouldn't hurt her! I can touch her!"

"Michael." Destiny said gently, "You did touch her, as much as she touched you, as much as she touched all of us, you touched her too. I promise."

Choking on a sob, Michael lightly pressed his sweaty forehead against her cold one.

"All your screaming, whispers... slip right through my fingers. But these memories linger on, eyes closed all I see is good times disappearing and I'm trying to hold on but you're abandoning me here. Don't leave me alone."

Unable to watch my best friend falling apart in front of me I excused myself, making something up about the bathroom and slipped out of the room only to stop dead in my tracks at the sight of the boy in the bed across the hall. Looking around to make sure I was alone I crossed over to where James lay, looking pale and sweaty.

Not caring that he appeared to be on death's door I reached out and grabbed him by the front of his hospital gown startling him awake.

"Wh-what are you doing?" he demanded.

"Where are the kids?" I demanded, prepared to kill him if I needed to.

"Get off me!"

"I will when you tell me where my kids are you lowlife piece of shit!"