chapter twenty three

THE BROKEN HEARTS CLUB

LARA'S POV

My head hurt, my cheekbones soaked and my eyes were puffy. I pulled my knees up so that they rested up my chin, hugging them towards my body. My tear-stained pillow was damp but nonetheless I pressed up against it as I hid from the rest of the world, cowering beneath my duvet. The only thing I felt was pain, and it seemed never ending.

I've been here all night, ever since...

I sniffle again, taking a deep  in a poor attempt to keep myself together. Too late for that.

The bed - my hiding place - dipped slightly near my feet, telling me someone was here. I knew who it was.

"Lara" Ella's voice cooed, she placed a hand on my back and smoothed over my bare skin, for I was still wearing the blue dress from last night. I stiffened slightly, before relaxing and leaning into her touch.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Her gentle voice carried across to me.

I nodded eventually, my hands reaching for the duvet that covered me and pulling it back to finally reveal myself. I chose to ignore the small gasp that Ella let out, completely understanding that maybe I wasn't at my best at the moment.

"Oh darling" She let out, as I sat up.

She shuffled closer to me and instantly wrapped his arms around my neck, pulling me in. I hardly responded, only sank into her arms as I had no energy to do anything more. She smoothed her hands over my hair and muttered to take deep breaths. But I couldn't, not as long as Oliver was stuck in my mind.

"Now" Ella pulled away but kept my hands on my shoulders.

"What happened?" She pushed, but not harshly. It was if she were treading on egg shells, unsure if I would break if she seemed to keen to know.

"It's Oliver" I start, my throat croaking.

Flashback

The rose dropped from my hand, my jaw agape. If it wasn't the hand that slapped over my mouth that caught their attention, it was the small sob that followed after.

Their eyes darted to me, both pairs equally as shocked to find me standing there. Instantly, Oliver pushed away Kat which earned a little giggle from the Hufflepuff who then smiled cockily at me.

"Lara- I-I can explain!" He bolted towards me, eyes desperate and his arms reaching out as he was ready to grab onto my shoulders. But he paused as soon as I retracted, stumbling back.